Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling services & drivers not needed for audio playback

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Audio

Computer Audio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

Hello,

I have been working on a command line script that "optimizes" Windows 8 for use as a high quality audio source.  The script disables Windows 8 services, drivers & features that are not needed for audio use.  The computer will not be used for anything but playback of audio.  All Windows 8 features that are not needed for audio I want to disable or uninstall.  The script is on 2 forums already (Computer Audiophile & JPLAY) and what I am looking for is fresh ideas on things that can be removed from Windows 8.

The current script shuts down over 250 drivers/services/features and can be downloaded from here:

CAD Windows 8 Audio Optimization Script

You can look at and modify the script using Notepad.

If anyone has any additional ideas please post them!

Best Regards,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

Well, I have to say my first impression is that you appear to be massively over thinking it. I sincerely hope you're not being taken in by snake oil like some of the stuff being promoted on that website - digital cables sounding different and such nonsense!

Tidying up services etc is fine within reason, but if you're trying to optimize sound quality, pretty much irrelevant. I don't see any point in even looking for more to do than that script offers. Audio playback will not stretch any modern computer's resources, unless it's a very low-spec one being overworked, and you're experiencing buffer problems or the like, or utilizing some unusual playback methods like a large number of multi-tracks without mixdown.

Probably the single most useful tweak to enhance audio performance when you're using ASIO drivers (as I assume you are) is to optimize the processor scheduling for background services. But even then it's most useful for attaining low latency when recording.

I really suggest you'll get better mileage concentrating on aspects that will actually influence the sound quality.

http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking-common-windows-performance-tweaking-myths

Edited by Platypus, 11 June 2013 - 04:29 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Computer Audio

Computer Audio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

Well, I have to say my first impression is that you appear to be massively over thinking it. I sincerely hope you're not being taken in by snake oil like some of the stuff being promoted on that website - digital cables sounding different and such nonsense!

Thanks for that but I guess I am not asking for what you are offering.   If you disagree with what I am doing I am absolutely fine with that!  If you have any thing to offer that deals with my request that would be more helpful for me.

Best Regards,

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users