Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a Gripe about sites that supply junk to accompany softward download

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

I like deciding who to invite into my home and feel the same about my computer.   People trying to sneak into my house or barge in uninvited would really tick me off.   I feel the same about my computer and hate spending my time trying to get rid of uninvited guests.

Thanks for letting me say that.   I try to download from reputable sites but at the end of the day I sometimes miss some added on junk.  Grrrr

The less than reputable companies are very clever at disgusing who you are downloading from.   CNET pages have others that aren't part of the site but just sort of blend in as one example.

Edited by JayJax, 11 June 2013 - 02:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Well Said my friend !!!!

You will find that there is an overwhelming majority here who will agree with you. The bundling of dubious value software etc is abhorrent to all of us. Avira Anti virus lost a lot of support by bundling the ASK TOOLBAR in with what is a good product.

Your point that they are devilishly clever at disguising their hidden cargo is very accurate and would perhaps lead one to wonder what else are they hiding...

CNET should not be content to rely on their good reputation....it was a hard won reputation, which can be lost in the blink of an eye.

Brian

Australian Outback

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

CNET should not be content to rely on their good reputation....it was a hard won reputation, which can be lost in the blink of an eye.

In the opinion of many, it's already been lost.  I, for one, will never again download anything from them.

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Well Said my friend !!!!

You will find that there is an overwhelming majority here who will agree with you. The bundling of dubious value software etc is abhorrent to all of us. Avira Anti virus lost a lot of support by bundling the ASK TOOLBAR in with what is a good product.

Your point that they are devilishly clever at disguising their hidden cargo is very accurate and would perhaps lead one to wonder what else are they hiding...

Brian

Australian Outback

Thanks for responding and validating my thoughts that are at the center of my GRIPE.   I'm sorry that others are having problems but as you say it is a widespread problem that results in rampant abuse.     I have on one or two occasions stopped installation or maybe a download can't recall that for sure - anyway stopped the process when I became suspicious / noted something I initially missed but even though I halted the process I still ended up with some crap on my computer which surprised me I thought it would have to be a "done deal" before anything could affect my computer but I guess that was naive on my part.    Its interesting you mentioning AVIRA as I had heard it mentioned in the past as a good program but it seems to have been degraded as you say.      I think Adaware is one of those programs that can be good but somehow in my mind it has a negative association.

I find I must read very carefully as like I said they are very clever at disguising just what you're getting.    One thing I've noticed is that the downloads usually have at least 2 choices "Average" Installation and "Advanced" which they imply as being somewhat complicated - that if you go with their suggested AVERAGE install you're almost guaranteed to get stuff you didn't want.

I've noticed also that you must be very careful that you are on the site you think you are on.    If you think you are on a reputable site but have gotten waylaid to another that is also a source of trouble.  And that's where the search bar thing seems so very important.    Once they hijack your search then you will be misdirected to other "seedy" sites which compounds the problem.

I hate griping, hate problems too but I guess its nice to realize I'm not alone in the problem which will be ongoing.

On CNET - the programs not hosted by CNET, as I said, sort of blend in with the site and its easy to be mislead but I'm trying to be more aware with some success but there's always something slipping by now and then that is easy enough to get but harder to get rid of.  

I have gone rounds with ASK and yes its a pain.   And yes, it does make you question the entire transaction when stuff gets put on your computer that obviously they know you don't want or they wouldn't have to "sneak" it in.   If it was a good program they'd be able to be upfront about it and say what it is you're getting.

I'm more hesitant to download anything as a result and there are some good things out there but its the bad things that stick in my mind.

I guess the saying BUYER Beware needs an addendum  DOWNLOADER Beware!

Edited by JayJax, 16 June 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

I try my best to avoid those downloaders from CNET and other sites. All I want is a program, not the junk the downloaders include. For those rare times when I do download from them Eset will pop up and warn me that there is something included that Eset doesn't like. If I continue with the download I can look for that junk and say no to it.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

In the opinion of many, it's already been lost.  I, for one, will never again download anything from them.

I thought maybe it was just me, as far as CNET goes, that I had somehow unknowingly downloaded from another site so it is helpful to know that I am correct in being suspicious even on CNET.    I cannot remember the name of the program but ironically enough it was a program to enhance security to help protect against problems when in reality it ended up giving me the very problems I sought to avoid.   Its was I thought a reputable program and a reputable site but it actually caused MAJOR problems that it took me much time and effort to undo.  And not being all that technically savvy and as I see from some scans I've done there is a lot of stuff that gets through anyway.

In somewhat the same vein, I use Firefox browser and so far I have had good results with a recent add-on (another thing I'm suspicious of) called Ghostery.     It has really speeded up my computer by blocking hundreds of things like Doubleclick and Advertising cookies.   Doubleclick really bogs things down.   I'm still watching it (Ghostery) closely though - you know the old "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is".

Edited by JayJax, 16 June 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

I try my best to avoid those downloaders from CNET and other sites. All I want is a program, not the junk the downloaders include. For those rare times when I do download from them Eset will pop up and warn me that there is something included that Eset doesn't like. If I continue with the download I can look for that junk and say no to it.

Hmmmm, I had not heard of Eset.    I must look into that it sounds like a very helpful program.   Getting these addtional items onto your computer can be simple enough to fix but some go much deeper and in this case an ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure.  Thanks for the reference I shall follow up.

Not sure how I missed ESET because my first look around it seems to have a following.

All this is enough to make me paranoid.   Because even name recognition isn't enough what with devious people who spare no effort to mislead to sites that are imposters/fakes.   

It must be profitable somehow I can't think anyone would put in that much time and effort just to be annoying so there must be a payoff for them.

Spammers, on the other hand, do seem very determined to continue their "mischief" with insulting/vulgar email etc.    And I think they are getting better at what they do, I've had some on Yahoo which took months to stop only to have them rename themselves and start over.

Edited by JayJax, 16 June 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I made the mistake of downloading from that site and was so confused as to what to click-on that I inadvertently got hooked with PUP. Lesson learned and have not downloaded from CNET since nor will I in the future. They will have to untarnish  their image.

BTW with regards to Ghostery. I have read some tutorials where this program is virtually impossible to remove in IE. And can be intrusive to the point of being annoying.

This was in the forum recently and involved qm7 and others. This is an excerpt:

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable Ghostery in IE. One suggestion would be to go into your blocking options section and Unselect all of the trackers.. and turn off the alert bubble in the advanced options. That way.. you are basically running Ghostery, but its not doing anything. so.. in essence.. disabled.

Edited by sikntired, 17 June 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

I made the mistake of downloading from that site and was so confused as to what to click-on that I inadvertently got hooked with PUP. Lesson learned and have not downloaded from CNET since nor will I in the future. They will have to untarnish  their image.

BTW with regards to Ghostery. I have read some tutorials where this program is virtually impossible to remove in IE. And can be intrusive to the point of being annoying.

This was in the forum recently and involved qm7 and others. This is an excerpt:

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable Ghostery in IE. One suggestion would be to go into your blocking options section and Unselect all of the trackers.. and turn off the alert bubble in the advanced options. That way.. you are basically running Ghostery, but its not doing anything. so.. in essence.. disabled.

Thanks I will check that out.    I was under the impression it was only for Firefox which is what I'm using but I could be wrong.   I haven't had any trouble so far and they do seem to be responsive to problems/questions people have.     It shows all the things you're blocking and you can block/unblock them individually such as Disqus or hundreds of others.    Anyway when i found I couldn't link to my Disqus profile I found it and unchecked it and it worked fine.

I do hope I don't have the kind of problems you mentioned.   If I'm having any problems as yet I am unaware.   The fact that each item can be blocked  or unblocked individually and that it seems effective to do so is a positive.    But the future will tell the story with Ghostery.  I guess since I already have it/done deal - I'll watch to see how it goes.

Yes, the way CNET has it said up it's too easy to be mislead and you download form someone else.   Surely there is a way visually that they could delineate their text for example in red.  The fact that they leave it and users vulnerable causes me to think there must be something in it for them.  Either way they are dumb to mess up their reputation.

Edited by JayJax, 18 June 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

Ghostery is a safe and reliable add on, I use it with Do Not Track me, No Script, Ad Block Plus and Flash Block... My browser flies and I get no ads and very few attempted malware attacks. (Iceweasel browser on Linux)

I agree with all you guys that C-Net is dodgy as hell, I won't go anywhere near it. It cannot be trusted. You've a better chance of staying safe torrenting free software IMO.

There's big money in malware, so I understand why these guys do what they do... It just means it's a harder for most of us to stay safe.

So, always choose the advanced option, block all updaters with your dedicated firewall software (your av firewall is not enough) and get a sandbox virtual machine to test all your new junk on. :thumbup2:

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Ghostery is a safe and reliable add on, I use it with Do Not Track me, No Script, Ad Block Plus and Flash Block... My browser flies and I get no ads and very few attempted malware attacks. (Iceweasel browser on Linux)

I agree with all you guys that C-Net is dodgy as hell, I won't go anywhere near it. It cannot be trusted. You've a better chance of staying safe torrenting free software IMO.

There's big money in malware, so I understand why these guys do what they do... It just means it's a harder for most of us to stay safe.

So, always choose the advanced option, block all updaters with your dedicated firewall software (your av firewall is not enough) and get a sandbox virtual machine to test all your new junk on. :thumbup2:

sounds like good advice and a couple of ideas to follow up/tighten up security.   Thanks for the suggestions and yeah I'm thru with CNET.  Glad to know you had good results with ghostery I haven't had any problems either.  I had no idea there were different kinds of firewalls.  Shows what I know.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

I use Comodo on my windows machines as a dedicated firewall app. They want you to upgrade to AV also, but it's no good.

It has a learning mode, so everything has to be approved once. It's a pain in the bum the first while, but stops a lot of bad traffic once it knows all your safe stuff.

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

I use Comodo on my windows machines as a dedicated firewall app. They want you to upgrade to AV also, but it's no good.

It has a learning mode, so everything has to be approved once. It's a pain in the bum the first while, but stops a lot of bad traffic once it knows all your safe stuff.

I was not aware of Comodo til you mentioned it.   I see they have many free services includng 5GB backup service.   have you used anything other than the firewall that they offer?

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

to be honest... no, never heard about any other Comodo products. But I can vouch for their firewall. Quality.

#15 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

@TsVk

Evidently this program only affects IE not other browsers as my initial post referenced and tha attached excerpt. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users