Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs running in background?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 qwerty654321

qwerty654321

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

My computer seems to work overtime when I am not even really doing anything and so my question is, could there be programs in the background running that I do not know about? How do I see what is running and stop them? How do I know which ones to stop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

1) Open Task Manager to the Processes tab and sort on the "cpu" column (with highest usage on top). See what processes are using the cpu

2) Check "scheduled tasks" to see if anything is set to run on schedules

3) Turn of Indexing if you don't need it

4) Check your AV and Defrag apps and see if they are set to run in the background

5) Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel and uncheck any startup items you don't need or want (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users