Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Diagnosing Crashes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DaMunky89

DaMunky89

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi everyone, hope you can help me with a horribly frustrating hardware problem I've been having lately. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My computer will randomly freeze every so often. It doesn't bluescreen or restart, nothing is "Not Responding" or throwing an error message. This error does not appear to result in minidump files being created. The image just gets stuck in place as-is.lues

At the same time, I hear the fan spin faster than in normal operation and at a constant rate. None of the buttons (Num Lk, Scr Lk, Fn, etc) function. The only thing that can be done is to turn it off by holding the power button.

Th freezing mainly occurs when I am playing graphically intensive video games, so I believe it may be graphics card related? Freezing also occurs if I start the computer up shortly after (within1-2 minutes) the freezing has just occured. These additional crashes can happen as early on as the Windows 7 "Starting Up" animation, so this can't be a software-only issue. It has to be either a hardware problem, or a device error causing a hardware problem, right?

Other problems I'm having that I don't think are related but might be:
(1) Sometimes the lights on my fancy gaming mouse (Corsair M90) shut off and it stops working. Shortly thereafter I get a bluescreen / crash.
(2) A month ago my old harddrive died, and I replaced it with a new one. I did a clean install of Windows, using Windows installation disks rather than one containing all the prepackaged junk software from Sony.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can fix this, or at least figure out how to diagnose it?

Edited by DaMunky89, 10 June 2013 - 11:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Williamsmith

Williamsmith

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Have you tested the Hard drive?

Also Test the Ram?

You  might want to test those two are fairly common things to cause random freezing of your system

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here (if you can) ... or a file sharing service
(and post the link).

Cannot type ATM so instructions culled from here.

#4 DaMunky89

DaMunky89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for your replies!

@Williamsmith: I believe the harddrive should be OK as it is not throwing any disk errors, and the startup time is very snappy, whereas with the failing drive it was terribly slow. As for the memory, I don't believe any of it is bad, as I do not have bluescreens at all. If you still believe I should test these, how specifically would you reccomend I go about it?

@bludgard: I've run the error log now. I gave them the once-over myself and nothing jumped out at me, aside from the Critical events originating from Kernel-Power that say "power cut unexpectedly". Here's the ZIP: http://www.sendspace.com/file/obah3g

#5 Chirp54

Chirp54

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

You may want to try this just because it's easy, and I've seen it work. The fact that it won't restart shortly after freezing may be because it's still hot.

Take the side off your computer and point a regular household fan towards the MB and put the fan on high. If it starts working you may have a heating problem to deal with. Please do not run the computer on a daily basis without the side on because some computers will run hotter with the side off due to the fact that the unit needs to be sealed in order for air to flow according to factory design.

If you're lucky and it's a heat problem,,,

Is it dusty in there?

Are all fans turning including the one on the graphics card, if any, or the processor fan?

Failing all above you may be able to cure the problem by adding another fan(s).

Good luck...

#6 DaMunky89

DaMunky89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I should have probably thought to mention this earlier, but it's a laptop, and fairly compact inside, so unfortunately adding another fan won't be an option here. Furthermore, there's only one fan in there, connected to the graphics card / CPU via a metal heatsink. I'll try dusting it out again later, but I did have the thing open a few months ago and it didn't seem dusty.

#7 Chirp54

Chirp54

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

I should have probably thought to mention this earlier, but it's a laptop, and fairly compact inside, so unfortunately adding another fan won't be an option here. Furthermore, there's only one fan in there, connected to the graphics card / CPU via a metal heatsink. I'll try dusting it out again later, but I did have the thing open a few months ago and it didn't seem dusty.

Okay, that helps. Some laptop fans do get so dusty they become unreliable. I still think it's heat. Maybe just try running a vacuum cleaner hose over the fan outlet. It's an easy start.

#8 DaMunky89

DaMunky89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Oh, my. This is what speccy looks like while I'm gaming:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mwODyDZZpiyTaVZWy1ftfPH

Temperatures are just above 80 degrees. Is that normal?

#9 Chirp54

Chirp54

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

When I first saw your readings I was thinking 80 degrees? He must be talking Farenheit (sp). Then I looked at your specs and it's C. I think you are way overheating. I just checked mine and I was at 42C CPU and 45C SYSTEM. So if I'm understanding this correctly, and I could be missing something, you are running very hot. Once again I think the fact that you cant' restart for a couple minutes after it freezes points to the fact that it has to cool down before it will restart. Good Luck!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Operating temp range for that CPU:  zero to 100 Celsius.

Louis

#11 Chirp54

Chirp54

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Louis

I'm not gonna challenge a moderator with over 36,000 posts to his credit but isn't 100 Celcius equal to 212F;   which is boiling point of water? Once again I could be wrong but that sounds hot. Maybe your specs are the max and min temps the CPU's can be stored at for storage or shipping purposes, but not running.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

Louis

For others who may doubt the temperature range of this CPU

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7%20Mobile%20I7-740QM%20BY80607005259AA%20(BX80607I7740QM).html

From above link:

Electrical / Thermal parameters
Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ? 0°C - 100°C
Thermal Design Power ? 45 Watt

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:28 AM

@bludgard: I've run the error log now. I gave them the once-over myself and nothing jumped out at me, aside from the Critical events originating from Kernel-Power that say "power cut unexpectedly".

Did you happen to notice that before the critical shutdown entries there are error events that happened? Spybot and Comodo are being problematic (I believe Comodo to be the culprit). Uninstall both and see how thimgs go....

#14 Chirp54

Chirp54

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Louis

For others who may doubt the temperature range of this CPU

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7%20Mobile%20I7-740QM%20BY80607005259AA%20(BX80607I7740QM).html

From above link:

Electrical / Thermal parameters
Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ? 0°C - 100°C
Thermal Design Power ? 45 Watt

Animal is right. I looked it up. I7's run hot. Good Luck.

#15 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

@bludgard: I've run the error log now. I gave them the once-over myself and nothing jumped out at me, aside from the Critical events originating from Kernel-Power that say "power cut unexpectedly".

Did you happen to notice that before the critical shutdown entries there are error events that happened? Spybot and Comodo are being problematic (I believe Comodo to be the culprit). Uninstall both and see how thimgs go....

Also get rid of Geek Buddy. 

Edited by bludgard, 12 June 2013 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users