Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continually disappearing hard drive space

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Problem

Mr.Problem

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

I've had this problem for a while now and its so annoying that everytime I try to get some free space on my C: drive, which now only has around 60MB, the free space will just get eat up again and again and it slows my computer down so much. I remember once I freed 1GB up by deleting old programs I don't use and using CCleaner but a week later half of that was eaten up by some annoying computer beast. I don't have anything left to be able to delete (without knowing if it is safe to delete) and so I have no idea on how to keep that little bit of space on my drive. How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

tryo to download and run a disc space explorer, this will show you what folders are taking up the most space, and some will tell you what file types are taking up the most space too.

Have you run a virus scan, or a malware scan?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Store video files, graphics, etc...on removeable media and not on the Windows partition.

Or...get an external hard drive for storage

Turn off hibernation and delete hiberfil.sys.

Turn off System Restore and do routine backups using a program like Macrium Reflect.

WinDirStat - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=WinDirStat

Louis

#4 Mr.Problem

Mr.Problem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

So I did everything you guys told me to do. Scanning the computer with malwarebytes i got rid of 5 viruses. I turned off hibernation and deleted hiberfil.sys and now i have 750mb. I also turned off system restore and used windirstat. What I saw taking up the most space in my C: drive were these:

Name                    Percentage               Size                Items               Files              Subdirs

SYSTEM (C:)                                       22.0GB          172,296           149,771           22,525

- Windows                86.7%                19.1GB          154,990           135,748           19,242

+ winsxs               41.6%                 7.9GB             69,119             54,962           14,157

+ Installer             19.8%                 3.8GB             45,627            45,471              156

+ System32          11.3%                 2.2GB             14,464            13,349             1,115

+ assembly            7.1%                 1.3GB               3,409              1,289              2,120

+ SysWOW64        6.3%                 1.2GB               6,433              6,026               407

+ Microsoft.NET     3.6%               694.4MB             2,204              1,810               394

Is there anything wrong with these? Is there anything I can do to fix or make better?

#5 Mr.Problem

Mr.Problem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Sorry for the late reply by the way I was out for a couple of days. Thanks for helping me!

#6 Ajet

Ajet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

I've had this problem for a while now and its so annoying that everytime I try to get some free space on my C: drive, which now only has around 60MB, the free space will just get eat up again and again and it slows my computer down so much. I remember once I freed 1GB up by deleting old programs I don't use and using CCleaner but a week later half of that was eaten up by some annoying computer beast. I don't have anything left to be able to delete (without knowing if it is safe to delete) and so I have no idea on how to keep that little bit of space on my drive. How do I fix this?

Hi all i'm new here but think i might have found the answer to this.

I had this problem, searched for two days without success till i found the answer. If you have ever had or do have Google Earth on your pc or laptop try this.

Uninstall Google Earth, then go to: 

Start>Computer>Local Disc (C:)>Users>username>AppData>LocalLow>Google>GoogleEarth 

Double click Google Earth & delete all files in it one at a time. 
(Note: If you try to delete all at once you will fill your Recycle Bin.)

Empty Recycle Bin after you delete each file.

In my pc it took up 44gb of memory & took over an hour to delete all the files. 

When you have done this go back & delete Google Earth file, Then go back & delete Google file.

Warning! do not delete Google file in Local File only in LocalLow.

Then if you wish re install Google Earth. My pc hard drive only has 80gb & this got rid of 44gb.

My memory was full untill i did this now i have over half free!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

You need to buy a larger hard drive...if you can even think about MBs of storage capacity.

If you are not going to move the contents of My Documents, My Videos, etc to another drive or storage media....you need to buy another hard drive.  It's that simple.  Hard drives as small as yours...belong to another era.

Louis

#8 Ajet

Ajet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

You & i belong to a different era, don't make us obsolete.

80gb is more than enough for what i need & i spend hours on my pc.

Did you check out my last post to see if it works? No point having a terabyte of storage if it's full of rubbish.

Edited by Ajet, 10 July 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

My XP "C" drive has a total space of 37.2 Gigabytes, of which 20.5 Gigabytes are used and 16.7 Gigabhytes are "Free Space". So if your "C" drive has a total amount of space equalling 80 Gigabytes, then some thing is obviously wrong. What I would do if I were you is go through the top layer of folders, right clicking on each of them and using "Properties" to find out how much disk space each of them is taking. Somewhere you are going to find one or more folders that are occupying a ridiculous ammount of space. Once found, then go into those folders, and find out what is causing this.

#10 Ajet

Ajet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

I am running Windows 7 which takes up a lot more memory than XP

#11 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

Ah yes, Windopes 7, sometimes known as Windoze 7. You know, the one that takes a ridiculous amount of HDD space, hides most functions so it's hard to figure out how to do commonplace things, and is an otherwise generally idiotic item from MS, (Moron Sh_t); i.e. the people who are incapable of designing properly functional software, and have to constantly swamp you with "Updates" designed to correct various flaws in the OSs they sell you.

Edited by JHMcG, 11 July 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#12 Mr.Problem

Mr.Problem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi all i'm new here but think i might have found the answer to this.

I had this problem, searched for two days without success till i found the answer. If you have ever had or do have Google Earth on your pc or laptop try this.

Uninstall Google Earth, then go to: 

Start>Computer>Local Disc (C:)>Users>username>AppData>LocalLow>Google>GoogleEarth 

Double click Google Earth & delete all files in it one at a time. 
(Note: If you try to delete all at once you will fill your Recycle Bin.)

Empty Recycle Bin after you delete each file.

In my pc it took up 44gb of memory & took over an hour to delete all the files. 

When you have done this go back & delete Google Earth file, Then go back & delete Google file.

Warning! do not delete Google file in Local File only in LocalLow.

Then if you wish re install Google Earth. My pc hard drive only has 80gb & this got rid of 44gb.

My memory was full untill i did this now i have over half free!

I went into LocalLow and I did not find any Google or Google Earth file :/

I guess the option I have is to buy a new hard drive then,

And yes I am running Window 7 too, never really had this problem before when I was running xp on this computer.

JHMcG I did that many times before, checking which of the top layer files are talking lots of space and then navigating through them to see what is taking up so much space and which ones I do not need so I can delete. Most of the deletable programs are gone and all thats left are files that I'm not sure if its safe to delete.

Edited by Mr.Problem, 12 July 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#13 ShadowAce790

ShadowAce790

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

This is way later, and is long overdue to Revelancy, but this might be a good thing to add for Future Reference to people with the same problem, This is what ive found to be a big problem with Windows 7 and being the Free Space Eater it is it can also boil down to 2 other options if you dont frequently download new programs or Games then its most likely 1 or both of the Reasons Below, and has happened to me a plethora of times before, BUT is a very easy fix.

Causes:

- System Restore Backups (If Enabled)

- System ShadowCopies (If Enabled)

They are Real Space Eaters, and can be removed by using the Default Disk Cleaner included with the computer, just Search in the start menu for Disk Cleanup then once loaded go to the More Options Tab, then click the Cleanup Button under System Restores & Shadow Copies, I have 2 HD's:

- C:/  Capacity: 178GB (68.9GB Free)

- D:/  Capacity: 267GB (231GB Free)

And it was able to eat up as much as 35GB of my Hardrive in about a Week, But the Only Reason i have as much HDD as i do, is because i play a lot of games, so i need a good amount of space being games are climbing well over 20GB these Days, But that is a very Prominant Loss of Free Space, So just be sure to clean it out everyday, or Read up on how you can dis-able them, Just know if anythng goes meniacly wrong with your computer and System Restore Points are disabled, you will have nothing to fall back on unless you Online backup your computer .. Etc.. Etc.. Hope this Helps Future Peoples Wondering the Same thing and a possible solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users