Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropbox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Susanherna

Susanherna

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Anybody have an opinion about Dropbox?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Yes, I have an opinion. However my expectations may not even be close to yours. So I reserve mine till I have an idea of what you're looking for or expect from the service.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Anybody have an opinion about Dropbox?

Personally, I find it very useful...but I also don't trust it (or any cloud service) with what I would consider confidential files.

The big advantage that I see to it over just some online cloud backup service is that not only are you files on their servers, but also on any of your computers that have the Dropbox client installed. Thus, if something happens to Dropbox, you are much less likely to be left in the lurch.

So, I only use it for syncing files between computers.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

Dropbox does the same thing for mobile. So when I got my new PC a few months ago, I was able to take the files that are on my smartphone and tablet and copy them to my new PC. And I did the same thing when I got my tablet a month before that.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Dropbox does the same thing for mobile. So when I got my new PC a few months ago, I was able to take the files that are on my smartphone and tablet and copy them to my new PC. And I did the same thing when I got my tablet a month before that.

Keep in mind that unless you make a file as a "Favorite" in the Dropbox mobile app, those files are not actually "on" your smartphone or tablet until you open them. The Dropbox mobile app only lists the files that are in your Dropbox account on the Dropbox servers. When you open on of those file, the Dropbox mobile app only THEN downloads the file and opens it. If you don't have an Internet connection, then the Dropbox mobile is useless UNLESS you have marked files as "Favorites". A "Favorite" in the Dropbox mobile is actually stored on your smartphone or tablet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users