Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ldpetry

ldpetry

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hi,

My Grandson has a Dell Latitude D610, OS Win XP Pro laptop.  It's been getting hot he tells me and we were going to replace the fan, but in the meanwhile he's been using a laptop fan and it been doing great.  Now for the not so good, last night we had a bad thunderstorm.  He had his laptop plugged in charging while he was on Facebook, he had it plugged into a surge protector, we lost power for about 3 seconds at the most.  He continued on his laptop, everything was fine.  He shut the laptop down for the night, got up this morning and got the BSOD.  He brings it down to me and I turn it on and I get the same BSOD.  It read "Unmountable_Boot_Volume", with all the warnings and stuff.  It suggested to Disable BIOS memory options such as Caching or Shadowing and the last line with these error codes STOP 0x000000ED, (0x86D3A840, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000. 

So, I went into Windows Advanced Options Menu and tried "Last known good configuration, it shows the Windows XP screen like it's booting up, but goes straight back to the blue screen.  I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, same result.  So I tried running Diagnostics, everything is passing until it gets to the Hard Drive where the DST Short Test detects an error, error code 1000-0146, msg: unit 0:IDE status failed.  Status byte = 64 Control Code = 1 msg=No additional sense info.

So when it can't finish it says No Diagnostic Utility Partition Found.  To run diagnostics, insert your Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the system and boot off the CD.  He doesn't know if he has CD's as he accquired the laptop from his Dad who we'll be checking with about those. 

So, is his Hard Drive toast?  How can I get into safe mode to run tests?

ldpetry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi ldpetry,

The error code specifies that the hard drive has failed. It needs to be replaced and unfortunately, you will not be able to access the Safe Mode.

You will need to install a fresh copy of Windows on the replaced hard drive.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users