Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems before and after OS installation.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JReese078

JReese078

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

I recently had a problem which my computer wouldn’t boot to Windows, wouldn’t allow me to go boot into Safe Mode, or use recovery options to get back to my previous configuration. Due to the fact that I felt backed against the wall with lack of options I decided to just wipe my hard drive by just formatting it before re-installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and be done with it. Needless to say things didn’t happen as smoothly as I desired.

At this point Windows cannot update. If I let Windows try to automatically update it drops to a BSOD page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. If I get the updates myself there are times which I can download a 500mb file and not have a problem or it may crash to the same bsod when the browser is loading and then it also to the same blue screen when I try to install anything of descent size. I had the same “BSOD” problem on a different computer running XP and I ended up having a bad stick of RAM so this time each one has been removed, re-installed one at a time, checked, and are operating properly. I thought that maybe because I didn’t have current drivers installed for a few items that could be causing the blue screen. One by one they have been placed back onto the system to which things run smoothly until I stress things the slightest bit then things drop to the blue screen. The only driver that has posed a problem that I know right off is the SATA controller which does not have any driver what so ever and I have not been able to find one for it so far but still looking.

I'm not sure if this helps or even matters but figured I would go ahead and give a few details about the computer.  Purchased in 2009 and used as a gaming computer.  Alienware <I had more money than common sense at the time>.  Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 ghz ..   9gb DDR3 @1066mhz  .  NVIDIA GeForce GTX260.  OS  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.   CPU temp has been staying in the 30o C range.

I would appreciate any help that can be offered.  Right now I believe I am at the point of "can't see the forest for the trees".

Reese

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'd run check disk now. 

My Computer > rightclick Hard drive > Properties > Tools tab > Check now. (make sure both boxes are ticked.)

failing that I'd update drivers and/or physically remove the graphics card next, see if that helps. It may need re-seating also...

#3 JReese078

JReese078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

Thank you for the response TsVK!

I have re-seated the graphics card and check disk came out clean.  First boot went well but when I checked for windows update it stated that I first had to download a file to allow windows updates upon trying to download the file I was instantly dumped to the same blue screen I have been getting.  First thought was to reboot using safe mode and check the event logs but was taken to the same blue screen before being able to even get to safe mode.  My next trial at boot has taken me directly to "Startup Repair" to which "cannot repair this computer automatically" leaving the following information.

Problem Event Name : StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.4600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 2

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: 0x50

OS Version:  6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:  1033

I am somewhat confused as to why the chkdsk came up clean but this showed up on the "Startup Repair".  Right now I feel like I can't get my bearings on this fix..

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

Have you tried booting from a live CD? that will show you if the problem is related to other hardware or your HDD.

It has me stumped though. It says HDD or graphics card all over the problem... But it could be drivers or whatever but I don't think so.

Did you actually remove the graphics card and start the machine?

long shot............disconnect the CD drive. (weirder things have done worse for machines)

Have you looked at the mother board closely? Any swollen capacitors? it's another possibility. (and sadly looking likely at this stage if nothing else works)

#5 JReese078

JReese078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

I havn't tried booting from a live CD but would be grateful if you could point me in the direction of creating one. When   I personally keep leaning towards HDD issues/failure but I couldn't think of a way to test for that other than swapping another in it's place and although I have several external drives that run off usb I don't have a sata hard drive in my box of spares.  I will give disconnecting the dvd drive a try and see how things go. 

For fear of it being the mother board I actually looked for swollen capacitors when I was checking the RAM and again when I pulled the graphics card out.

Right now I'm just tossing thoughts out there, but is there a possibility that I messed up when re-installing the OS, that I should have loaded a hdd driver or something of the sort before the install and that is what is causing my issues.

I really appreciate all the help that you have been giving.

Reese

Edited by JReese078, 11 June 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Is a good starter link for learning about live cd's, Linux distros, how to do it etc.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

How about running a diagnostic on the hard drive?  A bad hard drive would make sense in your scenario as painted.

Chkdsk /r is a file system tool...it can only try to repair files and partition...it cannot be effective if the hard drive itself has a problem.

Louis

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

That's a good suggestion.

--------------------------------------

A couple of free ones:

1) Crystaldiskinfo - http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

2) HD Tune - http://www.hdtune.com/

#9 JReese078

JReese078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

So far I have ran every diagnostic and/or repair I can find and everything seems to point towards the hard drive, like you said Louis, it cannot be effective if the drive itself has a problem.  The replacement is easy but making that actual choice will be difficult.  I’m not even going to bother looking at SSD’s for the primary hard drive but that's a topic for another time…

I really appreciate all the help that's been given.

Reese

#10 JReese078

JReese078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

I was doing some more research on hard drives and was wondering if my problem could be caused by not having the correct bios setting before installing the OS after I formatted the drive during the actual OS install.  If that is a possibility.. could that be the reason that the sata driver is not being recognized.  One site I was looking at suggested to replace the cable, which I have not done, but I don't see how if the cable is bad it would lead to the "BSOD" page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.

Reese.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

Hi

Yes, a defective SATA cable can produce blue screens. I have seen issues like that.Try replacing the SATA cable and also reset the drive power connector. After that use manufacturer's diagnostic tool to test the hard drive. 

Seagate and Samsung - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Hitachi -  http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/dft32_v416_b00.iso

Western digital - https://www.box.com/shared/gl0fifqgj4

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'm out.. Don't believe me  (not googling your own problems?), well... fine.

Edited by TsVk!, 19 June 2013 - 07:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users