Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM Aptiva 2161-c9e Hard Drive Partitioning Problems. Tried 3 diff HDDs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BadBoyJTB

BadBoyJTB

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Old ibm aptiva 2161-c9e (using product recovery cd & system diagnostics cd also) hard drive crashed cant get anything off of it so i had to install new hard drive. old one was 10gb new one is 15gb. anyways i created primary dos partition extended partition and then logical in fdisk. says restart computer so i do. and then it says continuing aptiva recovery and then below that pops up

" 11 - there may not be enough space on your hard disk to install this software " 

A:\

tried an 8gb hd 15gb hd and 80gb hd. the 8 and 80 are empty i know for a fact. there were not any partitions on the 15gb so like i said i created them. when you pull up the partition info it says file system unknown where it should say fat32. kind of a newb when it comes to this sorta stuff although im not a complete newb. hopefully somebody will take their time to point me in the direction of what the hell im doing wrong lol. thank you in advance ive been at this for hours upon hours plus a few more hours. actually its been like 3 days lol but anyways sommeeeebodddyyyy helllpppp meeeee  :smash:  :notme:  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Well I've used FDisk quite a bit over the years, though not lately.

First you have to respond to : enable large disk support by accepting : (Y) then hit the enter key.

Then when the next screen comes up if you have more than 1 HDD installed, use : 5. to select the HDD you are trying to partition.

If there is only 1 HDD installed the select : 1. and hit the enter key

Then to create a bootable partition, select : 1.Create a Primary DOS Partition. -  to create whatever size boot partition you want to make.

Once that is done, to create partitions from the rest of the HDD select : 2. Create Extended DOS Partition. - using the full remaining size of the HDD to setup the basis for whatever other partitions you want to create on this HDD.

Once that is done, select : 3 Create Logical DOS Drives in the Extended DOS Partition. - as often as you need to in order to create however many "Logical Partitions" you want to create using the remaining space on the drive beyond the "Boot Partition"

When you have finished doing that, hit the escape key to go back to the first page of options, and from it select : 2 Set Partition Active - to set your "Boot Partition" active.

When all that is done, then reboot with the floppy still in the drive, then at the "A Prompt" type in : Format C:\  /U

(That is Format(space)C:\(space)/U)

Then do the same for your other new partitions, and it should work.

Edited by JHMcG, 11 June 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#3 BadBoyJTB

BadBoyJTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

After doing the whole partition and restarting computer and typing format c in it said parameter format not correct and now I am unable to use fixed disk. When I type in Fdisk it says enable large disk support I type either y or n and it says error reading Fdisk. I'm going to try a different hdd and see if I am able to get in.

#4 BadBoyJTB

BadBoyJTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Something happened to the hard drive during that process because I just switched and am able to use Fdisk but don't want to ruin this hard drive lol idk what to do. I've tried everything I can think of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users