Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD; "ntoskrnl.exe" is to blame

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Benie

Benie

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hey all. This is kind of a continuation of my original post in this forum, about my computer is dying. You can view it here to learn the origin, as I don't feel like re-typing it.

So I took my computer up to the shop. He did a diagnostic and found my largest drive has a fault and replaced it, also told me to do a complete clean install of Windows 7. I did this.

My computer was working fine until I tried to install everything to get it back to the way it was. I tried to update my video card's drivers to the latest, using a clean install.

It detected that Microsoft .NET Framework wasn't installed, and tried to do it. I waited, and then it failed to install the software. A bit later, Windows Update pops up having more updates for .NET Framework. So I was all "Ok, I'll just get the updates, restart, and try the drivers again".

No sooner than 2 minutes after I started... boom. BSOD. "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". This is the same BSOD message I've had for quite some time.

Since then, I've got the same BSOD and same address of it, every 7 or so hours. 7 hours of living in fear of not knowing why this is happening. This is going by leaving my computer on. It took 20 hours from BSOD 1 to BSOD 2, because most of that time I had my computer off.

I searched around and got a program called BlueScreenView, and it shows this "ntoskrnl.exe" file caused the BSOD, everytime.

To fix it, I've tried all of the 'check your hard drives for issues' steps that I could. But for some reason, Seagates' SeaTools program won't show all of my drives. They are all Seagate except for my new one, which is a Western Digital (and that one showed up).

My guess is there's a bad Windows update that could be causing it. I had also thought it could just mean my video card's Video Memory is going bad. But I'm not being told that checking your Video Card is a good idea to isolate this type of a BSOD.

Most people say "Ohh, you got MEMORY_MANAGEMENT? Your RAM's going bad, bro!", and to run memtest86. Here's some valid issues why I can't;

1. I don't have anything that can be used as a bootable device for the program (aka, no DVD-RW's laying around).

2. I don't have a laptop, and I don't wish to hear the hum of all of my fans when I'm trying to sleep of leaving my computer overnight and letting the program scan forever.

3. Even if it does find an issue with my RAM, I can't replace it. My motherboard won't allow any other type of RAM except what I have now, and with DDR-2 going out of style, I'll have to replace it, as well as the RAM. Which I'll have to replace my CPU too since it won't be compatible with the new motherboard. And there's money I don't have, and I'm forced to because this :ranting: BSOD won't leave me alone. :censored:

4. I got no proof replacing the motherboard/CPU/RAM will fix it. I'm tired at grasping at straws here. I've dealt with this for far too long. I want guarantees. I already spent $233 on something that didn't even fix the issue.

I'm hoping for a more, "free" way of fixing this BSOD, like saying it was just a bad driver or another software issue. Because my computer was working fine until I did try for the NVIDIA Driver update.

System Specs;

Computer Brand: Custom built (not by me, by the computer shop guy)

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9550

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250

Sound: Onboard

RAM: 4GB DDR-2

I'll upload what BlueScreenView says, and the BSOD Crash Minidumps, if that helps.

Attached File  BSOD_Crash_Logs.zip   43.81KB   13 downloads

Edited by Benie, 11 June 2013 - 02:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've tried to rollback my computer (System Restore) back to before I tried to install all of my programs, including those updated NVIDIA drivers. Going to see if this alone, causes that BSOD.

If it doesn't, then that proves that it started to happen after it failed to install my drivers.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hi -

You need to test RAM at a minimum.  Purchase a few CD-R discs for memtest86+

Run memtest86+ one stick at a time; alternate the slots

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

The 2 dumps do point to RAM or an underlying unknown hardware failure affecting RAMs ability to properly hold kernel code.  Please keep in mind that Windows kernel dumps are incapable of telling us the exact piece of hardware that is failing; it can only point us in a possible direction.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#4 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for your reply, good sir. But I'm very puzzled. You're saying that it's possibly my RAM.

Since I used Windows Restore, my computer hasn't had one BSOD (yet). This leads me to believe it's a bad Windows Update, which causes my RAM to do some stupid thing, which causes the BSOD.

The problem is, nailing which Windows .NET Framework update is causing it. And the fact I have no way of "forcefully triggering" the BSOD, it would take days, if not weeks or months, of testing each single update to see which one is causing it.

Maybe perhaps, to try and install the .NET Framework through the Microsoft Website instead of through my NVIDIA Drivers. Which puzzles me too, I installed the .NET Framework + my drivers perfectly, the last time I did it (when I still had my old hard drive in my computer).

However, I did so before Windows Update could install its drivers, which caused a Failed install of them.

Edited by Benie, 12 June 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#5 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

Can you recommend a 3rd party CD burner, because the one built in Windows 7, sucks. Everytime I try to burn the ISO for memtest86+ (I made sure I got the correct file when I did), it fails to do so.

Keeps giving me error 0x80004005. The ISO has been unlocked and is accessible.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hi

You can use either Imgburn or ISORecorder. Both are free.

http://alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

http://www.imgburn.com/

#7 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thanks! I finally got it on a CD. Going to run memtest86 overnight and post the results.

#8 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Ok, guys. I ran memtest86 overnight, for just over 12 hours. It found three errors.

Do be advised I can't do anything about these errors. As I said, my motherboard won't support any other RAM. Also the fact DDR2 doesn't really exist anymore.. yeah. I hope you guys understand this.

Also, I did not open my computer and test only one stick and different slots. As I said, my fear of touching the inside of my computer. I know to ground myself, but I don't feel I ground myself enough.

Could I just please have another solution to this problem? I still haven't had a BSOD since I rolled back.

Here's pictures I took with my phone of my monitor, showing the errors;

http://i44.tinypic.com/a9qtf6.jpg

Pass 6, Test 8

http://i43.tinypic.com/30kq901.jpg

Pass 8, Test 8

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hi

Yes, one of your RAM is faulty. You need to run the test on individual modules one by one. Removing the side cover and unplugging a module is not a big deal. We can provide detailed step by step instructions on how to do that.

From where did you get the idea that DDR 2 doesn't exist any more ? .

You can still buy good quality DDR 2 RAM online. Instead of buying a new stick to replace the faulty module, i suggest replacing all modules with same brand to avoid any potential incompatibility issues. It is not necessary, you can opt to replace only the faulty module if the replacement one matches with the existing module.

Here are example links in ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORSAIR-XMS2-4GB-2-x-2GB-240-Pin-DDR2-SDRAM-DDR2-800-PC2-6400-Dual-Chan-/300918732975

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-XMS2-4GB-DDR2-SDRAM-Memory-Module-TWIN2X4096-6400C5C-/261226077701

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 June 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#10 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

I've tried to find the exact memory I currently have, from Newegg (where I got my current sticks). Found a pair that was slightly different than what I had, but the same brand and same settings as my old ones. I tried to upgrade to 8GB, and my motherboard wouldn't accept the sticks.

I have G-Skill sticks. Two 2GB sticks. I tried to buy two 4GB sticks. Might be able to find the same things on eBay, but is it really worth the risk of getting something that'll be even worse than I have, which will make my computer even more unstable?

As I said, I'm tired of this bullcrap my computer is doing. I need guarantees that doing this and that, will fix my issues. Unfortunately, no one can answer that question.

Sorry for my attitude. I'm just so tired of having issues I can't figure out on my own. It's costing me so much money keeping this thing maintained. And there's no guarantee getting a new computer won't fail or do something worse.

Yes, I'm a Pessimist. :P

Edited by Benie, 15 June 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

Hi

Some motherboard manufacturers like Gigabytes provides a memory compatibility info for all their motherboard models. If you can tell us the motherboard model number, we can probably verify the compatibility. 

It is better to find the faulty module and replace it with a compatible G-Skill module. A 2GB RAM stick won't cost you that much money.

#12 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

I can definitely get that info for you when I can.

It is, ASUS M3A78-CM. Hope that helps.

Edited by Benie, 15 June 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#13 Benie

Benie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

I searched on Newegg and eBay. I unfortunately can't find the exact Model # as my current sticks.

It is: F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ

The sticks I tried to search for, were either CL5S, CL5D, or CL5Q. But no just CL5. I tried (as in let my computer shop guy do it) to use CL5D sticks, which were the two 4GB sticks, and my computer refused to boot until the original CL5 sticks were used.

My guess at that time was my motherboard isn't designed for over 4GB (aka not 64-bit compatible). Yet when he tried just one of the 4GB CL5S, it also wouldn't boot.

I ended up RMAing the sticks back to Newegg. Also I found out to get a new Motherboard/RAM/CPU, will cost me $500-$600, just to see if the BSOD goes away. That's too much for its purpose.

This is the closest I could find, but it's a CL5S. I hope I can get some help with this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231121

I remember buying the sticks indivigually, rather than a kit.

Edited by Benie, 17 June 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#14 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

CL5S, CL5D, or CL5Q. But no just CL5.

S would be for single chip, the D would be for Dual chip (sold in a set of 2) and the Q would be for quad (sold in a set of four).
As you have already tried a single 4GB and it didn't work out for you I wouldn't do that again. You could could buy them one by one but usually I go for the dual pack.

As for ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE THAT THIS WILL WORK... no... sorry... this is real life and a free forum... As you have tested your ram and found it to be going bad I think that replacements of same size and speed would have very high likely hood of solving your problem.  Please remember that when you have had bad memory for a long enough period of time your computer *might* have been writing 1s when it should have been writing 0s and you may have to backup your data and reinstall windows.

For many (90%) of the people that I work with - this is not the case - many install the new memory and move on with their merry lives.

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:31 AM

Hi

Here is the official memory compatibility list of your motherboard -  http://www.mediafire.com/download/9nfxqad2dqjnfd4/Memory_QVL_M3A78-CM.zip

Your model didn't seem to support most of the 4GB modules. So i suggest using pair of 2GB modules.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 18 June 2013 - 03:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users