Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer and Monitor turn on, but monitor stays black.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 t.o-malware-test-lab

t.o-malware-test-lab

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hello. I have an HP Pavillion desktop computer. I was using it last night and it worked fine. But when I turned it on today, my computer turned on and so did my screen, but my screen stayed black. I heard no beeps on startup so I dont think it is the graphics card, but I am still not sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stoneyc

stoneyc

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

yea it could be graphics card you don't have to here any beeps ive had a couple go bad like that had to replace then everything fine I never heard any beeps when mine went out replaced the card everything fine after that I would say it is your graphics card

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hi,

The simplest way to check problems like this is substitution.

1   Plug the monitor into the motherboard's own video output, restart and see if works. If it does, the problem lies with your video card. If it doesn't work

2   Plug the monitor into a different computer. If it doesn't work, then the problem is almost certainly with the monitor, but,

3   Swap the video lead for a different one, they can occasionally fail, and finally,

4   Check that you are getting volts out of the end of the power lead to the monitor - this should really be No 1 !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

It could be a GPU or your monitor as what others think. MoBo could also be the problem but it is best to do some tests first. We could exclude RAM problems because there are no beeps as what you have said. So to test for your GPU and monitor, just follow what Chris have advised. Then let us know what happened.

#5 t.o-malware-test-lab

t.o-malware-test-lab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hello. I have Intel integrated Graphics. Would I have to replace the chip or Motherboard because the graphics are 'on-board' or could I just put another graphics card in there in the event of a GPU failure? 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sorry - I misunderstood your original post, I thought you were using a plug-in video card !  Obviously then, my first substitution won't work. So try the others, this will determine if the rest of the components in the chain are working, but you will have to use someone else's computer to do the substitutions on.

If the monitor and the cable work on a different computer, then the problem almost certainly lies with your on-board graphics circuitry. It should work with any plug-in video card - try borrowing one before you go to the expense of buying one. If you then get video, you will know it is the onboard graphics and go and buy a video card of your own. Basic ones are not very expensive, my local components store lists them from £25 UK up - a long way up !

Chris Cosgrove

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users