Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor hard drive performance on old computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

I am having issues with poor disk performance on a Toshiba Satellite 1000 laptop. I want to see if there is anything I can do to improve performance since nobody seems to make PATA hard drives anymore. Failing hard drives that Windows has forced into PIO mode still perform better than this drive, which appears to be in good condition.

The hard drive is a Toshiba MK1517GAP, which is running in DMA mode and doesn't show any signs that it is failing. I think it is just a slow drive. I don't know where to start to try to make this computer faster. Most of the time I spend trying to use this computer is taken up by me waiting for something to access the hard drive.

If there is no way to make it faster, I want to find a source for a better drive. It looks like eBay is the only place I can get these old drives. I don't think it is even worth it to upgrade such an old computer, but it has some hardware features that make me want to keep it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stoneyc

stoneyc

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

clean it up and defrag it

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

In this case, that doesn't help. I have already done that, and it didn't get any faster.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-1000-s158/4505-3121_7-8929830.html

If that's your system...you may as well try to relive yesterday or last week.

You aren't having disk performance issues, you are having system performance issues.

The real killer is your RAM...512MB is the max...that was a very long time ago and those days are better left behind, IMO.

There is no way to improve performance of that system...other than to remove Windows and go with a linux distro, IMO.

Louis

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

This is a Satellite 1000-S157. It seems really slow compared to an old HP laptop with a slower CPU, the same amount of RAM, a hard drive with hundreds of bad sectors, and Windows XP Home Edition. The Toshiba runs XP Professional. I end up waiting an unusually long time for anything to load, even for a computer with 512MB of RAM. Aside from that, it works for what I need it for. My mom uses it to play games and run some old software. I would rather keep this old laptop than buy a new one. The software will probably need a 32-bit copy of Windows, which limits the choices to extreme low-end junk, and I haven't had good luck with newer laptops. They have a lot more hardware issues than these old ones.

Edited by lti, 13 June 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Well...you seem to think that you know the problem...that being the case, why not replace the hard drive?

I don't know much about laptops, but I doubt if older ones are better than new...poorer construction, less knowledge of heat issues would be my reasoning for that opinion.

As for Windows...I'm not a linux novice, but perhaps you ought to consider runnnge something other than Windows on it.

I can't imagine running any version of XP on a 15GB hard drive...my suggested minimum size for the Windows partition (O/S and programs) is 20GB, with all data files (videos, music, docs, etc.) stored on a different partition/drive.

Maybe the size of your hard drive is the problem, since Windows reeds approximately 15% of the partition space...to be free space.

<< I want to find a source for a better drive.>>

I don't believe in buying anything on ebay...I don't consider it a good source of system components unless one is in the repair business and is able to assess the condition of what you are purchasing.  Combine that with the fact that new components have warranties against defect and ebay is a non-consideration in my world.

Example at http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-Mobile-4200RPM-9-5mm-MHV2060AT/dp/B000F6VBRU/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1371237398&sr=1-6&keywords=laptop+hard+drive .

Of course...if you go to a new hard drive...you will have to either clone your current install to the new drive...or reinstall Windows anew, along with programs and drivers for your system.

Louis

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else wrong that would cause Windows and programs to load so slowly.

Unfortunately, this computer needs to have Windows installed because of the software running on it.

I wanted to upgrade the hard drive because of its small capacity anyway. The drive has 4GB free.

I don't know if one of those 4200 RPM drives will be good enough or if they are all as slow as this old 15GB drive. The higher speed drives on Amazon cost the same as they did in 2007. I would rather spend that amount of money on a spare 500GB drive for my newer laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users