Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown change to resolution

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andypops

andypops

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Dear all,

After some fantastic support I recieved about a year ago, I would like some help with a new problem which has happenned tonight.

I've just connected a new internet cable to my computer. As I did, I knocked my HDMI cable out, which I use to display my screen (via my graphics card). I replaced the HDMI, and the resolution was fine. However, I then dusted my keyboard, and I noticed that my resolution (essentially fullscreen on my 1980*1024 TV monitor) has reduced to a "narrow" almost 4:3 resolution.

I've checked all monitor settings and nothing has changed. It is able to show full screen images with no problem (tested using built-in troubleshooting menu).

Windows resolution is showing 1920*1024 (which is a 16:9 ratio...), but physically my screen is 4:3 at the moment, so everything is squished and not corect. I don't know if I've pressed something on my keyboard by mistake, or if a piece of hardware has failed, or what. I'm completely stuck.

Please help!

Andy

My monitor is a Samsung 23" TV. I use the HDMI input of this to display my computer. There are no other inputs.

This is connected to the PC via a medium-quality 2M HDMI which is connected to my graphics card (ATI Radeon 5700).

My PC is a homebuilt affair; Windows 7 home premium x 64, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz processor on a (currently I cant remember) motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andypops

andypops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Supplemental information:

I have tried a system restore and this did not fix the issue.

I have manually updated the driver (no improvement).

I rolled-back the driver to the standard VGA driver. Please see the screenshot below. Resolution is now 1400*1050 (slightly wider than previously.

Attached File  10.png   83.23KB   2 downloads

After a restart, the driver was re-installed - screenshot below.

Attached File  11.png   22.56KB   2 downloads

Will restart, and update.

UPDATE:

The re-installed driver hasn't helped. It's put the problem back. The resolution is nominally 1980*1024, but all text looks like it's in a "narrow" font. About 2 inches either side of the visible portion of the monitor is unfulled - this isn't the usual case.

Please help with any ideas!

Edited by andypops, 10 June 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Uninstall the current video driver, via Device Manager.

Reinstall the video driver, either from original CD or downloaded from AMD/ATI website.

Louis

#4 andypops

andypops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hi Louis,

Done it. Unfortunately the problem is not resolved. It is best when the Radeon driver is uninstalled, but that still doesnt give me the full resolution i had before the problem began.

Andy

#5 andypops

andypops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hi all,

I'm still having problems. There is a strange effect at different resolutions:

At 1980 * 1024 The screen is incredibly compressed horizontally (fullscreen vertically). It is approximately 4:3

At 1776 * 1000 the screen is slightly less compressed, but still not right.

At 1680 * 1050 the resolution is still out but filling more of the screen. However, screen quality is horrifically compromised.

At 1600 * 900 the resolution is screen filling, but very poor quality.

Before this problem started I had no problems. I am at a complete loss. Reinstalling the drivers hasn't helped - and I did make sure to uninstall the previous version first.

Please help!!

Andy

Edit: in addition, the proble, also occurs when the refresh rate is set above 50 Hz

Edited by andypops, 12 June 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#6 andypops

andypops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

As a short-term fix I'm running the computer through a DVI-->VGA cable from the graphics card to VGA on the monitor. It's back to normal, with full quality at full resolution.

Can anyone help with the HDMI problems though? Why would it be doing this?

Andy

#7 heinkeljb

heinkeljb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Try looking at the TV screens setting - bet it has nothing to do with your computer! Most TV's which allow PC's to connect to them a have a list of resolutions they work best with. THese can be selected from the TV's setup menu.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users