Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to automatically shut down Not Responding programs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Simply Nick

Simply Nick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hi, I've already read titles featuring the same explanations, but I'm always stuck at 

''2. In the Registry Editor, navigate the following branch: HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Desktop

3. On the right panel of Registry Editor, search for “AutoEndTasks” registry key.''

I simply cannot find the AutoEndTasks.

2pqOUnZ.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

You want to look here:

HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop

I assume you are talking about this happening at shutdown? If so, you can also do the following:

For these two, if the dword value indicated does not exist, create it:

Double click on the WaitToKillAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 2000

Double click on the HungAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 1000

Reboot

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Right-click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change it to 2000

Edited by Allan, 10 June 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#3 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

You want to look here:

HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop

That is where I am looking

I assume you are talking about this happening at shutdown? If so, you can also do the following:

No, it's while the computer runs. Some games running in windowed mode might crash sometimes, and I don't know why, so I just want it to shut down automatically.

#4 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

Up.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

A crash...is a stoppage of the program.

Not clear on what you are trying to accomplish....or why?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

No, it's while the computer runs. Some games running in windowed mode might crash sometimes, and I don't know why, so I just want it to shut down automatically.

As Hamlius said, your goal isn't clear. What is it that you want to shut down automatically? And since it isn't at shutdown, why were you at that registry location?

#7 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

As Hamlius said, your goal isn't clear. What is it that you want to shut down automatically? And since it isn't at shutdown, why were you at that registry location?

I was at my registry location because I read

1. In the Registry Editor, navigate the following branch: HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Desktop

2. On the right panel of Registry Editor, search for “AutoEndTasks” registry key.

would automatically close down not-responding programs/crashed programs, the problem about this is that AutoEndTasks is not found where it is supposed to be, so right now, these programs are just running in the background without being used at all.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

That's for problems at shutdown.

#9 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Oh, I did not know that. Is there no way to shut down these programs unless turning off the computer?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Please answer our question. What EXACTLY are you trying to do? Explain IN DETAIL please.

#11 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Please answer our question. What EXACTLY are you trying to do? Explain IN DETAIL please.

I just did, I don't know how else to explain it? It's really, really simple.

Game runs in background

Crashes for what-ever reason

Does not notify me about the crash

I tried looking for solutions, but apparently they only work at shutdowns

I want to know if YOUR COMPUTER can AUTOMATICALLY shut it down if it notices the game/program not RESPONDING.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'm sorry - maybe it's just me - but I really don't understand. You want the computer to shut down if a game crashes? WHY? And why would a game be running in the background?

Let's make sure we're using the same terminology. When you say the game is running "in the background", what do you mean? And when you say it "crashes", EXACTLY what happens?

#13 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm sorry - maybe it's just me - but I really don't understand. You want the computer to shut down if a game crashes? WHY? And why would a game be running in the background?

Let's make sure we're using the same terminology. When you say the game is running "in the background", what do you mean? And when you say it "crashes", EXACTLY what happens?

I like the wonderful, old classic game, Diablo 2 LoD, but leveling is a pain, so a bot runs in the background.

But sometimes my Diablo 2 window freezes and doesn't respond, and sits there for hours if I don't notice it.

g2HHnDT.png

This is why I want it to shut it down so it can restart and carry on.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

What happens if you just try to terminate the program (either by shutting it down or ending the process in task manager)? And there is no way for the computer to shut down if a program crashes.

#15 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

What happens if you just try to terminate the program (either by shutting it down or ending the process in task manager)? And there is no way for the computer to shut down if a program crashes.

The problem is that it can take up to hours for me to notice the game has frozen/crashed, which takes up precious time. I can shut it down by myself without issues, but I need it to be done immediately so the bot can continue on its own.

But as you said in your last sentence, there is no way to shut it down automatically..  I guess that answers my question, thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users