Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Starting up beyond "Starting Windows..."

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hey Gang, looks like there's some quality support on this forum - so hopefully you are able to help out for this process...

So this laptop I'm helping a friend with won't start up.

Specifics:
Asus U45J i5
3+ years

Problem:
It turns on and takes us to the black recovery page. It asks if we want to "Launch windows normally" or the recommended setting of a "Startup Repair." When you select the Start up Repair it says "Your computer was unable to start - Startup Repair is checking your system for problems..." Then it rolls on the "Attempting Repairs..." load for about 10-20 minutes. When it finishes, it says "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically."  

I am able to get to a safe mode screen - but I'm not sure what to do when I reach there. I've ran a sfc scan in the Command key, but no problems came up.

I've tried doing a system restore, but it doesn't allow me. Let me know what you need in order to help me fix this - it's been an awful last few days. Thank you so much for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

ok, probably the easiest fix would be to run a system restore from safe mode. please boot this into safe mode, open the start menu, and in the search bar, type in system restore. Select a date when you know the computer was working, and click ok. Please ost back if this resolved the issue, and if not, there are many other ways this could be resolved.

#3 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

Oops, sorry, I missed the last line of your post, my bad.

Do you have your windows installation disk? You can try doing a fix windows from there, but again, you will need your install disk.

#4 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm actually unable to do the System Restore. I do not have the installation disk, unfortunately. 

What I read about on a few other sites was to go to the Advanced Reboot Screen (forgot the name of it, but it has the options of the various safe modes and other options) - and to select "Go to last known good configuration" or something along those lines. 

#5 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

yes, in the advanced boot options, there should be an option to select the last known good configuration.  this should be in the same menu as the safe mode options, accessed by the f8 key. ( most of the time.) If this option is available in that menu, please select that option, and post back if this allows you to boot up.

#6 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Yes, this option did allow me to get things to boot up.  

However, how I was using it, the system asked to do a Windows update. So I did the update and it restarted, but then it just rehashed to the same problem as before.... Black screen after the Windows logo pop up

#7 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

ok, please reboot using the last known good config, but do not run the update. you will need to find out what updates are waiting to be installed, as it looks like one of them is causing these issues on your pc. Open up windows updates, and select view update history. See what updates need to still be installed, and post the updates waiting to be installed. We can then find out what update is causing this, and find a workaround.

#8 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

There are a bunch of updates that are "failed." Are those the ones you want?  But that would take a long while to type out - unless there's something I'm missing?

#9 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

The updates that have been "successfully" updated in and around the time of the laptop's problems were

"Definition update for Windows Defender - kb915597 (Definition 1.151.1230.0)
"   " "                                                                                                       1542.0)
                                                                                                               1787.0)

There was an update successfully done today, I assume while I selected the update?
nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1. Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 310M

#10 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

ok, what operating System are you running? Either way, first, select the download, but do not install option for windows updates, and then download the updates. Once downloaded, you will then be able to see what updates are waiting\g to be installed. this list should be much shorter, so please try this, and post those updates.

#11 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Windows 7 Operating System

Sorry, I didn't understand your last command. Did you say to download, but do not install? I'm not sure where to find that option... I'm sorry. I'm the worst with this stuff 

#12 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

No problem. from the windows update screen, select the change settings tab, and the option to download, but not install should be on that page.

#13 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

Okay so there is 1 Important Update and 1 Optional Update:

Important:
Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for 64-based Systems

Optional
Atheros Communications Inc. - Network - Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adaptor 
Intel Corporation - Display - Intel ® HD Graphics
nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.!, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, other hardware
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2574819)
"""                                                     ""            (KB2592687)
"""                                                     ""            (KB 2709981) 
Bing Desktop v1.2

#14 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Running Malwarebytes Anti-malware now too, will report back when complete. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users