Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I keep loosing internet connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Usually, 5-10 times a day, I will lose internet connection. It takes a good 5 minutes to come back. I've tried wired connection and wireless connection and the problem persists. I have a PlayStation 3 and right now it's connected wirelessly. (The connection died not so long ago on wired). I'm in need of a solution to stop my router/internet connection from dying out. It gets aggrivating after awhile.

Router: WRT54G v6

ISP: Comcast

Security: WPA2-PSK (AES)

Note: I lose connection on other devices too. (PC/iPhone)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Manufacturer and model number of your modem? (we need to find out if it is end of life)

Check your signal levels. Is it hot where you live? If your levels are out of whack they can get worse as the temperature goes up. (I just went through this over the course of a few weeks. A tech visit last week resolved the signal level issues. And yes, as the day got hotter it got worse)

First check when you are online and connected. Take a screenshot of the levels and save it to your computer.

Also bookmark the page. The next time you lose connection open your browser, go to the page and once again screenshot what you see. Compare the two. Usually there will not be much difference.

To check the signal follow the directions here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/1253575

Also read the tips for troubleshooting on that page.

After you have done  all that  click the blue this thread link in the first paragraph. Follow the directions and post the requested information. One of the connection experts will advise you.

Here is my canned speech about the Comcast help forum:

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case it would be Basic Internet Connectivity And Modem Help

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to [b]Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click [b]Save

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 June 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#3 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Modem: Arris

TM502G/CT

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Your modem is not end of life.The next step is to do as I suggested, check your signal levels, and post in the Comcast forum.

I forgot to say if you have any questions about that forum you can pm either here or there. My user name is the same in both forums.

If things are not right the connection experts will let you know and you can use that information when calling Comcast and requesting a tech. The only way to fix signal levels is for a tech to do it.

One thing that got my downstream signal levels closer to recommened range was moving the modem to another place in the house where there was a cable line coming into the house. I did this before the tech arrived. After he finished everything stablilized to the proper range and I've not had any problems staying connected. Upstream has some wiggle room if the temps get to high and affect it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 June 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#5 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Will do, thanks for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users