Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Search and Destroy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 forcebreach

forcebreach

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

I've used Spybot 1.6 for years with good results, but the new Spybot 2.0 is getting such bad press I'm leery of switching.  2.0 has a lot of lavish bells and whistles, but does anyone really know it it does the basic job of finding and removing malware better, or at least just as good as 1.62?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hi -

The upgraded version is due to a decrease in use of the program these days, when others are available.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SUPERAntiSpyware Free now do a lot of the work that people used Spybot S&D for.

You will rarely see it used on many forums (except theirs), since the others seem to scan deeper and quicker when used along with tools like AdwCleaner by Xplode, and more recently Junkware Removal Tool by Thisisu.

Many of the old and tested tools are still used, but there are always new upgraded tools out to use now.

Thank You -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Actually Spybot 1.6 wasn't as good as its previous release.

Thus, mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 forcebreach

forcebreach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thank you both for input.  I had seen an article from a well-known site describing present-version Spybot resources as being almost 100% ineffective, and I wondered if the flap over Spybot's "has-been" status is truly objective.  I had a back-door high-risk trojan reported (and alledgedly removed) by Spybot 1.6 a couple of weeks ago (win32.downloader.gen).  Along with Spybot, I also use Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster, Superantispyware, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, and HitmanPro. (Paranoid, aren't I).  I use Spybot with no immunization and teatimer & sd helper disabled so no conflicts with my Avast free antivirus or any other 2nd opinion scanners.  It's a moot point that if I had run each of them when the reported infection was fresh, which would have found the trojan and which wouldn't!  Are there any concrete reports on the web that will show the current Spybot's performance comparisons?  I see smoke, but I'd like to see fire before I run from Spybot. 

Looking forward to more opinions

forcebalance

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't know any malware removal experts who advise folks to download Spybot and perform a scan...that should tell you something.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users