Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing RAM on my Asus CM1630 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HAWK233391

HAWK233391

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Alright, I read these forums all the time for help and 99% of the time someone else's question is something I'm able to go off of to fix the issue I'm having. However, for this one time it's unique issue I'm having specific to me so I hope I can get some help.

I've had my ASUS CM1630 Desktop (64-bit Windows 7) for a few years now and finally decided to upgrade the RAM.

Here are my specs from the Crucial Scan:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner...EE81AC31D926C3

As you can see my computer can take 16GB total and there are four available slots)

The amount of memory that came with the computer was 4GB of Ram (two 2GB sticks - sucky I know!).

So I went to CDW and bought four 4GB sticks which totaled 16GB of RAM.

Here is where issues came into play:

I seated all the sticks correctly and the computer would seem to start running but nothing would show up. It was as if I had the monitor unplugged (but it wasn't). I literally mean I couldn't see ANYTHING (no bios no boot up no nothing). Everything was running fine (fans, lights, etc).

So I took two sticks out and left the remaining two. This worked for a total of 8GB (showed up in the my computer screen). Everytime I tried to insert a 3rd or 4th stick I would get the nothing showing on the screen issue.

To see if I had an issue with the RAM or with the slots I swapped the two sticks of RAM that were working in my computer with the two sticks of RAM that were not working in the other slots. Presto, this worked.

So I've now come to the conclusion that two of my RAM slots are dead and two are working.

So I figured the easiest solution next would be to return the four 4GB sticks and buy two 8GB sticks and place them in the two slots that are working which would give me the 16GB I've been looking for all along.

CDW was very nice, returned the four 4GB sticks and gave me two 8GB sticks. Came home, seated both 8GB sticks in the two working slots from before.... and I got the same original issue of nothing showing on screen (searching for signal as if I didn't have a monitor plugged in).

Then I thought to just try ONE stick of 8GB ram (since 8GB worked before with the two 4GB sticks) and this didn't even work. When I put the original two 2 GB sticks back in it works fine.

So to recap:

I want to utilize the full 16GB of RAM my computer is able to take (this has been verified).

Two of my four RAM slots don't work which means two of them do work which means my only option is two 8GB sticks.

The original two 2GB sticks that came with the computer work

Two 4GB sticks that I bought from CDW work

Two 8GB sticks that I bought from CDW don't work

One 8GB stick that I bought from CDW doesn't work

What is going on? Does anyone have any advice? The Crucial system scan I ran (link above) told me that my machine SHOULD be able to take 8GB sticks.

Any help is appreciated!

P.S. The brand of RAM CDW sold me is called "EDGE"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hi

The System will never work with 8Gb memories. The Maximum is 4Gb per slot.

I would have gone with the Crucial that should work in your system.

Asus are known to be picky about memory.

First I would install the two 4Gb memories and then try the two old 2Gb memories in the other slots.

FWIW I'm only running 6Gb and I edit HD Video, and do many things at the same time and so far 6Gn has been more than enough.

Are You running a 64Bit operating System? If You are running a 32Bit Windows the extra memory will be wasted.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 HAWK233391

HAWK233391
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for your reply Roger.  I am running 64-bit. 

I will go return the two 8GB sticks for two 4GB sticks.

What can you tell me in terms of using a USB device for RAM?  I'm reading some stuff about ReadyBoost or something.

Are there any devices recommended for this method?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi,

Do not forget that the memory needs to be compatible with Your ASUS.

ReadyBoost can only be as fast as the USB port. Thus a USB2 port is slower than a USB3 port and the USB port will give less performance. It is generally faster than using the hard drive for virtual memory of course.

One thought about the amount of memory, Have you looked to see how much is being used currently?

For example My windows 7 system shows 2.52 GB used.

That is with My video editor open and loaded with a one hour fifty minute 1080i video open, My photo editing program open, My email and Firefox open.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

If your board has 4 slots...and max RAM is 16GB....your board does not support anything larger than 4GB modules.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users