Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem logging in, welcome screen never loads (Fresh Windows 7 install)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iceking77

iceking77

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

So yesterday I decided fixing my laptop was a lost cause so I just reinstalled Windows 7. The installation went well, I don't think it formatted my hard drive correctly because I wanted it to just wipe everything and install a fresh Windows 7 but it saved all my old files in a windows old file. I didn't want it so I just deleted the file.

After that everything was working well, I turned off the computer and went to bed. This morning, I turned on my laptop and tried to login but the welcome screen didn't stop loading, so I restarted. This time my laptop logged in, but as soon as I opened up Spotify the screen completely froze. I force shut down and started again, but now I can't even log in. I enter my password and the welcome screen comes up but never loads. I am able to get into safe mode. I'm assuming I didn't format my hard drive correctly, and whatever was making my laptop unusable before was able to get back into my system.

Thanks so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

How did you install Windows 7, DVD?

If you use a disc to make the installation I would use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the entire hdd, this will effectively leave you with a clean slate to work with.

If you still have problems after reinstalling the operating system you should look into a possible hardware problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Its a inspiron 1525 laptop, I used a Windows 7 DVD. I'll try that.

#4 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

How do I use Dark's Boot and Nuke? I looked at the page, but I'm still kinda confused. Do I just launch it, wipe my drive, then reinstall windows? Will my disc I already used and entered the activation code for work?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hi,

You start by downloading Boot and Nuke from the link dc3 gave you - click on the blue download sign with the right pointing arrow immediately above the small screenshot and save it to an empty USB memory stick. If you can get your laptop to boot into 'Safe Mode with Networking' you may be able to do it on your own laptop. If you can't download it, do it on a friend's.

Then you will need to change the boot priority sequence in your BIOS. The normal sequence is (1) CD/DVD drive, (2) Hard disk, (3) Removable medium. You will need to move the entry 'Removable Medium' up above the entry for your hard drive. You access your BIOS immediately on start up, when the Dell screen is showing, usually by tapping the 'Delete' key.

Once you have made this change, turn your computer off. Then put the USB stick with Boot and Nuke into one of your USB slots and start the computer up again. This time it will boot from the memory stick, follow the on-screen prompts and Boot and Nuke will start running. Just be warned that it can take quite a long time to run - I would leave it running overnight.

When it is finished, you will have a completely blank hard drive. Go back into the BIOS, as above, and reset your boot priority sequence to the normal one, above. Then put your Win 7 disc into the drive and restart the computer. It will now go into the Windows install sequence and you should finish up with a nice clean install. And yes, the same license key will work.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Computers that were released before Vista may not be able to boot from a USB flash drive.  To determine if your computer is capable of booting from a USB flash drive you need to access the BIOS and look in the boot order to see if USB is listed as a boot device.

The normal sequence is (1) CD/DVD drive, (2) Hard disk, (3) Removable medium.

The factory default boot sequence has the hdd as the first device.

If there is a problem with using a USB flash drive to install the operating system you can always make a bootable CD.

There is a good tutorial for installing and using DBAN, it can be found here.

There also is a good tutorial for making a bootable USB drive, it can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users