Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking about building / buying a new setup.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DarkImpulses

DarkImpulses

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

I know it is usually more cost effective for better cpus if you just build it but I have very little knowledge of parts and putting them together I have people who could help me if need be though but I was browsing a site suggested to me by a friend of mine and I was looking through the build a computer options now this one is relatively in my price range and I was just wondering what the general census was on how good this computer is for the price I would be paying.

300-AG
Your Price:
$699.00

AMD FX-6300 CPU
Radeon HD 7790 Graphics
8GB DDR3 RAM
64GB SSD
Windows 8 64-bit
6 USB Ports (2 front) 
2 USB 3.0 Ports
5.1 high definition audio 
Onboard Gigabit Ethernet

This is the default model they offer but there is upgrade options for every part of the computer for reasonable prices as far as I know if you want to check it out yourself the site is www.ncix.com

I would be using this as a gaming PC but I wouldn't be runniing anything that is extremely taxing on the CPU until TES Online comes out they say that they are trying to make it not so bad on the computer but seeing as there will be 200 people on the screen at any given time on top of the decent graphics , other quality effects may take place (particles , combat efffects etc.) and god knows what else will blow up my computer do you think this would be ok to run somewhere in the medium level of graphic settings range comfortably ? If not what should I upgrade on it to what degree or should I look for a new option or just build my own ? I am completely new to these kinds of things but I am eager to learn. 

Any help is appreciated thank you for reading :D 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

It seems okay, but I would change a few things to make it better. 

Graphics card:  The Radeon 7700 is aimed more at low-end consumers or those who play Flash games.  I would get at least a Radeon 7850 or 7870 for gaming, make sure the power supply is about 600W.

CPU:  That CPU is good, but, if you can afford it, get the FX-8350 or 8320.  Due to the design on the FX processors coupling cores together into "Modules," the 8000 series CPU's are suggested for gamers.

SSD:  I suggest doubling that size if you're going to use an SSD, 64GB is really low.

3939.png

#3 DarkImpulses

DarkImpulses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

For some reason they only supply 500w power supplies in this one but I can look around and see if they have any other building options on different towers like this is a build for dummmies kind of thing you can go into the other menu and starts from the tower onward this one is like suggesting pre built qualities with the option to upgrade certain ones.  They also offer to put them in Raid0 or Raid1 what does that mean exactly ? One is for "extreme performance" and the other for reliability. 

Other than that if I upgrade what you say it comes to about 900$ before tax with a few added bells and whistles a little more would that be worth spending or should I just ask around and build my own ?

#4 DarkImpulses

DarkImpulses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

I know this is a lot to be asking someone to help me understand XD I mean I look at this stuff and it feels like i just stepped off of a boat into some foreign place I haven't even heard of lol. All this talk about AMD-FX-8320 8 core processor socket AM3 + 3.5ghz 16mb....... so on so forth I mean this makes me wanna cry and thats only 1 processor like theres 5000000000000000000 other options and 500000000000x that number of combinations 

#5 DarkImpulses

DarkImpulses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

This is a suggested basic gaming rig by one of the patrons of ncix.com

pcgalleryb01a.gif pcgalleryb03b.gifComputer Configuration   Catetory Description QTY Org.   Price   53308sss.jpg Solid State Drives - SSD OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD 1 $111.22 $106.78   Warranty Options Standard 1 Year Limited Warranty With NCIX IN-HOUSE Tech Support 1 $0.07 $0.98 47343sss.jpg CD & DVD Drives LG GH24LS50 24X Super Multi Lightscribe SATA DVD Writer OEM Black 1 $18.04 $24.99 52176sss.jpg Power Supplies Seasonic M12II 620W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX PFC 80+ Bronze Modular Connectors 6PIN PCI-W 120MM Fan 1 $85.32 $99.99   Network Adapters Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard 1 $0.00 $0.98 55545sss.jpg DDR3 Desktop Memory Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 12GB 3X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory 1 $110.49 $56.98 7842sss.jpg Assembly Options PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased) 1 $39.44 $50.00 51240sss.jpg Processors (CPUs) Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S Retail Box 1 $286.47 $329.98   CPU Heatsinks Please Use The Heatsink Included with My CPU -NOT Available with OEM Processors 1 $0.00 $0.98   Sound Cards Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard 1 $0.00 $0.06 55560sss.jpg Computer Cases NZXT Phantom EATX Steel Computer Case 5X5.25 7X3.5/2.5 With Integrated Fan Controller - White 1 $120.21 $139.99 55299sss.jpg Motherboards ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1366 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI USB 3.0 Motherboard 1 $189.00 $224.98 Total Price:   $960.24 $1,036.69

Sorry for the jumble of text it didn't leave the table formatting.

#6 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

It seems okay, but I would change a few things to make it better. 

Graphics card:  The Radeon 7700 is aimed more at low-end consumers or those who play Flash games.  I would get at least a Radeon 7850 or 7870 for gaming, make sure the power supply is about 600W.

I have a HD 7770 and it's not very low end. I am able to play TF2 on max while having Autodesk Inventor in the background, with zero lag. It's not a bad card.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#7 DarkImpulses

DarkImpulses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

TF2 isn't all that taxing on your cpu though you're only rendering the map the players and the effects on the screen. Are you able to play like large MMO's on ghihest settings with little to no lag ? That is what I am looking for atm but I also do want something that will still be effective for the next little while so I mean upgrading now isn't a bad idea. 

#8 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

TF2 isn't all that taxing on your cpu though you're only rendering the map the players and the effects on the screen. Are you able to play like large MMO's on ghihest settings with little to no lag ? That is what I am looking for atm but I also do want something that will still be effective for the next little while so I mean upgrading now isn't a bad idea. 

You are asking a question that many people with similar builds may have different answers to, I for instance have 3 monitors in eyefinity and play Tera on a triple wide on a single Radeon 7970, I have it set to mostly high, some settings on the highest and I get very little lag, if there is a lot going on my fps may drop to upper 30's, someone with the exact same build as me but only 1 or 2 monitors may be able to run everything on complete max settings.

even with the best of the best system playing something like WoW you will have a little lag where there are lots of people, due to both rendering the people, and with communication figuring out where they are.

#9 DarkImpulses

DarkImpulses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

You are asking a question that many people with similar builds may have different answers to, I for instance have 3 monitors in eyefinity and play Tera on a triple wide on a single Radeon 7970, I have it set to mostly high, some settings on the highest and I get very little lag, if there is a lot going on my fps may drop to upper 30's, someone with the exact same build as me but only 1 or 2 monitors may be able to run everything on complete max settings.

even with the best of the best system playing something like WoW you will have a little lag where there are lots of people, due to both rendering the people, and with communication figuring out where they are.

True I just mean like for the simplistic use 1 monitor playing the average game maintaining something above 30 fps with minimal background processes running maybe a music player or something small.

I don't need like a military grade super computer I just want something I will be able to run for the next 2 years maybe with reasonable comfort getting 50+ fps regularly not counting extreme lag or network connectio on games like LoL , WoW , TES Skyrim/TES Online , Aion the usual games people play between medium and max graphic settings.

Something sort of cost effective (900-1200$) or less if possible like I said nothing to crazy I mean 8 gb of ram would be enough I am sure and 12 would be optimum with a suggested processor that can handle things of that nature and then whatever motherboard that needs to go with said processor and a good video card that can support everything in the above listing comfortably.

So basically I am asking what would you build for a slightly upgraded from bare bones gaming rig that will run things comfortably with day to day activity in the background I'm not gunna be running 5 games at a time or anything like, something that can comfortably run Skyrim , MMO's on decent graphic settings with as minimal lag as possible without breaking the bank I may be in line for dual monitors soon but does that really provide that much of a problem ? and I won't be using it for games really like maybe just to multi task like a word document or a movie while I play a game. I know pretty well nothing about computers so basically I need 8+ gb of DDR3 RAM with a newer age processory that can support these tasks and the motherboard that comes with it and a video card that can support the same. Some suggestions on rigs that are equally balanced so no part is out working the other and will get the job done for a fair price you know ?

Sorry if I was inconsistent before lol.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

May I ask why you want to get components from NCIX?  There are other sellers that may have better prices.  If you're in the United States there are better deals than NCIX, but if you're in Canada, which is what NCIX usually caters to, the landscape may be a bit different.  Are you going to be building or buying this setup?  Going with building usually gets you more options.  Below is an idea from Newegg.com, if you are Canadian, the prices will be a bit higher.

Prices are in USD.

Case:  Antec Three Hundred - A simple case.  $59

Motherboard:  ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 - This is a simple AM3+ motherboard, if you are planning on using multiple graphics cards, I would suggest a 990FX-based board.  $99

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz - It's not the top-of-the-line CPU from AMD, but it is close.  $159

PSU:  CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W - This is sufficient for the build, if you are going to be using multiple GPU's, you may want a 750W unit.  $69

SSD:  Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR240GB 2.5" 240GB - I'm surprised how cheap these things are becoming.  $169

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - 8GB is all you really need and this is one stick, so you can upgrade later if you choose to.  $59

GPU:  XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB - This is an excellent mainstream GPU with a very good game bundle.  $249

ODD:  LITE-ON DVD Burner iHAS124-04 - A basic drive.  $18

Grand Total:  $987

3939.png

#11 DarkImpulses

DarkImpulses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

I am debating on building or buying but at this point I think building is the best option I am in Canada and the Ncix site was recommended to me because it operates in Canada and shipping costs in my area go by weight and its expensive I bought the Razer Naga online not long ago and the cost just to retrieve the mouse from the delivery service was 25$ just for a mouse. If I had to do that or pay more for each part I mean that would be an expense all in it's own.

Although the build your suggesting for the price I mean that is pretty good I might be able to get a shipping cost deal or something or figure this out maybe get it from a warehouse myself I will look into this and see how it pans out hopefully I will have enough money by the end of the month or a little after because I would really like to have a nice computer XD

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

Newegg also has a Canadian site, Newegg.ca.  The .ca version typically has the same hardware but price adjusted for Canadian shoppers.

3939.png

#13 thomjones

thomjones

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

I like your setup, but honestly i would not pay that much for any motherboard. If I were you I would go with a less famous brand like Foxconn or Biostar. You get good value for the money and have extra cash for better CPU or GPU.

Also i would definitively add a HDD to the system. Having only one SSD is a bad choice, especially when the disk is full. quickly. SSD performance usually decreases with higher usuage.

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

When it comes to motherboard's, you typically get what you pay for in regards to quality.  There is a limit to what is considered reasonable in terms of price, but as the chipset adds more and more features, manufacturers tend to put other features on the board, like A.I. OC.  For AMD 970 boards, $100 or so is usually reasonable, with 990FX, about $150 given they are aimed more at higher-end gamers and enthusiasts.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users