Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

burners won't burn

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hello all!!!

I have an older IBM ThinkCentre (well my mother in law does) that runs XP Pro sp3.  It has a DVD Rom and a DVD Read/Writer. When I put in a blank disc (CD) into the burner it recognizes it but when we attempt to burn it fails.  I've tried CD XP Burner and Image Burn along with the XP burning software, all fail.  If I put in a burned cd/dvd it sees it as blank.  The DVD ROM works fine so I used that end of the cable to connect to mobo, instead of using the middle IDE connector. Same results.  If I put in a burned DVD it sees it as blank also.  This issue began with the CD burner, so I replaced with a known working DVD burner, and obviously the issue persists.  I'm fairly lost for answers, as Google has been of no help either!!  Any help is/as always welcome and appreciated!!

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

What are the error messages generated...when a burn fails?

You might try the  MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 .

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

With a IDE cable there are two connectors, the end one is Master, the middle is either Slave or Cable Select.  If you have a optical drive set up as a Slave and move it to the Master position the jumper on the rear of the drive must reflect its position on the cable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

The 2nd drive is set to CS, I did not set it Master, will try and reply.

DId change drive to Master when using only one drive, same result.  It says the cd is blank and that there is 702mb of space, when in fact it is about 400mb full.

Edited by snglnluvnit, 10 June 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

What are the error messages generated...when a burn fails?

You might try the  MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 .

Louis

The error msg from CD XP BUrner was HRESULT 0x80040275, I can't remember the other two program's error msg's, and I have since uninstalled ImgBurn and CDXPBurner.  But right now the drive only shows ALL cd's as blank cd-r.  Even store bought cd's.

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Try replacing the IDE Cable with a new one. Sometimes the wires in those cables become broken, (no electrical contact), even though the insulation is still intact.

#7 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Try replacing the IDE Cable with a new one. Sometimes the wires in those cables become broken, (no electrical contact), even though the insulation is still intact.

I already switched the actual devices.  The DVD ROM reads everything just fine, the DVD R/W only sees all discs as BLANK CD-R's..   I have tried this with two DVD R/W'rs, and have tried each DEVICE in each cable position.  I'm not quite understanding how trying a new cable will make any difference.  I do appreciate the reply, just don't understand the idea behind it.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think that your burner device may be defective...since the DVD-ROM seems to do what it's supposed to do.

Louis

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Like I Said, sometimes the wires in those cables become BROKEN, - i.e. NO ELECTRICAL CONTACT,even though the insulation is still intact - ergo the device attached to the broken part of the cable doesnt work. I've had that happen 3 or 4 times over the years. Mainly happens when you fold a cable to position it out of the way of something else, or to route it to the device it is attached to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users