Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on boot.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mcsushi

mcsushi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

My father gave me his Acer Aspire 5536 laptop after the screen would not come on. He had taken his hard drive out of it so after googling some and putting in a new hard drive I found I am able to get the laptop to boot by holding Fn+Esc for 5 seconds while powering it on, letting it run for 15-20 minutes and then rebooting. After reboot the computer will run just fine. Powering the laptop off and back on within a short span of time will result in the laptop booting normally. However if I let the laptop run for awhile and then turn it off and back on the computer screen will not come on, but I can follow the same Fn+Esc method each time. I would really like to figure out what is causing this.

What I have tried:

Updating to the latest BIOS version provided by Acer via their website.

Swap tested RAM.

External monitor does not work when screen is black.

I removed and replaced the CMOS battery.

I am using Everest to monitor temp. Normal use it hovers around 50c and when I stress tested it for awhile it sat around 90c and never cut off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not even sure what Fn+Esc booting actually does.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

How long did you let the new battery charge up before trying to boot again? It could take a few hours for a new battery to change.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mcsushi

mcsushi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I had it on for a good 5-6 hours yesterday. Still have the same issue. I'm stumped at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users