Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about Web browsers/Extensions/Emails

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty654321

qwerty654321

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

With all the web browsers and web browsers extensions out there I feel overwhelmed. I'm not sure which one(s) to use since there are so many! Right now I use Google Chrome with the extensions avast! Online Security, DoNotTrackMe, DuckDuckGo for Chrome, HTTPS Everywhere, and WOT. I also have the Missing e extension for tumblr. Is Google Chrome OKay to use? Is it safe? Does it steal privacy? I read somewhere that Google Search was not very good because something of privacy issue. Is it just Google Search or is it the whole of Google? Also, what is the best free web email service? I use Gmail and Yahoo!. I really want to switch to just one email address and I am not sure who to go with. Should I stay with Gmail or Yahoo!, or should I change to something else? I want something secure, easy, free. I am just not sure with everything that is out there in internet space what to go with on anything really. Please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

the extensions avast! Online Security, DoNotTrackMe, DuckDuckGo for Chrome, HTTPS Everywhere ..the Missing e extension for tumblr

Do you Need all of these extensions to be added ?? Do you use all of these extensions ?

I run Internet Explorer bare, with only WOT and delete all of the others. Sorry, I have a Google search box above what I am typing for quick searches.

Even your Antivirus extension is not required, as you would have this as a desktop or bottom tray icon. At worst it is listed in Programs and you can access it from there. These Add-Ons can often link to Adware, Spyware, and other problems.

Chrome tends to "force" (< bad choice of words) or ask you to add these extensions, that quite often load at start-up and slow your logon at times.

Please take care of all extensions and promotions that you install unless you use them on a regular basis, and do not add Toolbars that are not needed.

Regards -

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Consider anything you do on the internet public information; there should be no expectation of privacy whatever services you use.  I have found Google to be the most reliable search engine, and use its E-mail.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 qwerty654321

qwerty654321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

the extensions avast! Online Security, DoNotTrackMe, DuckDuckGo for Chrome, HTTPS Everywhere ..the Missing e extension for tumblr

Do you Need all of these extensions to be added ?? Do you use all of these extensions ?

I run Internet Explorer bare, with only WOT and delete all of the others. Sorry, I have a Google search box above what I am typing for quick searches.

Even your Antivirus extension is not required, as you would have this as a desktop or bottom tray icon. At worst it is listed in Programs and you can access it from there. These Add-Ons can often link to Adware, Spyware, and other problems.

Chrome tends to "force" (< bad choice of words) or ask you to add these extensions, that quite often load at start-up and slow your logon at times.

Please take care of all extensions and promotions that you install unless you use them on a regular basis, and do not add Toolbars that are not needed.

Regards -

Oh OKay. I do use them everyday because they show that they are blocking unwanteds and I don't disable them. If I did not use them wouldn't I have a whole bunch like pops and stuff? Also what is good to use to block ads? I listen to music from YouTube and the ads are annoying.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

........... Also what is good to use to block ads?

Chrome Web Store - Adblock Plus - Chrome The free adblock tool for Chrome:
Blocks annoying video ads on YouTube, Facebook ads, banners and much more.

This is what Chrome says to use - I ad-block my Internet Explorer from the internal supplied tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users