Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove all data from old phone.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff_B

Geoff_B

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Recently upgraded from my Galaxy S2 to Galaxy Note 2 and wish to make sure there are no tracks or any personal data left on my S2.

How to do it please?

And how to "remove/disable" my gmail account from the S2. My gmail account is used on my Note 2.

Thanks (in advance) to all you clever folk out there :welcome:  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Look in the Settings, find the section on Backup and restore and you should find Factory data reset listed. Take out any SD card the device has, choose that option and go from there.

#3 Geoff_B

Geoff_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Look in the Settings, find the section on Backup and restore and you should find Factory data reset listed. Take out any SD card the device has, choose that option and go from there.

Thanks - but will I lose all the apps I have installed?

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yes. But if you start it up again with the same email address, everything should eventually be reinstalled.

I've rooted my Samsung tablet multiple times, and I had to start over each time (except the current one) because I munged something up. I reused the email address. Everything that was installed was reinstalled. Not immediately, but over the course of a few hours.

That only applies to any apps you get through the Play Store, though. Maybe.

Anything you get from Amazon will need to be manually reinstalled. But anything you got from Amazon will still be marked as something you installed before, so it's not too hard to find. It's tied to your account.

I don't remember if any of the apps from the Samsung store were reinstalled. Probably were because they keep backups of much of what's on the device. But I can't say for sure.

#5 Geoff_B

Geoff_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

Thanks stiltskin.

BUT I now have a new android phone and will give or sell my S2.

I DO NOT want a new owner accessing my email.

Will the Factory data re-establish my gmail account?

Tks

#6 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

Only if you tell it to. Otherwise it's a "new" phone as far as the phone itself is concerned - no attached email address, no apps other than whatever is included by default, etc.

As for the other phone, I'm not sure how it will handle previously-installed apps. I would assume those would be reinstalled, excepting maybe anything not compatible with the new device. However, anything that was listed against that email account will still show up in the Play store. Just go to My Apps. There will be two lists: what's currently installed, and what's been installed before to that email address. Everthing in the second list will be there forever until it's either no longer available in the store or until you delete it from the list.

#7 Geoff_B

Geoff_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

Thanks once again stiltskin.

I have installed new google apps on my new phone and when I am in the playstore looking at apps, it does tell me which ones are installed on my new phone. When I have signed in using my gmail account I can choose either phone.

I was more concerned that any "personal data" should not be left on my old phone and I guess factory data reset will delete those. These days of "privacy issues" are near the top of my list of things to do  :killcomp:

#8 ccybertron

ccybertron

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

you can access CWM to full data wipe, an viola brand new android hehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users