Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MalwareBytes'Anti-Malware/SUPERAntiSpyware/avast!/Spybot Search&Destroy question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty654321

qwerty654321

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

I want to apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section. This seemed like the best place to post this. I use MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware, avast!, and Spybot Search&Destroy. They all four seem to be working well for me, but I do not know much about what programs work best and whatnot. I can not afford to buy software to help keep my computer safe and I want to know, if possible, if the programs are good and if I should use different ones or also use other ones?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi -

If all of these are free versions, then Spybot Search&Destroy, can be removed (either Add/Remove or Programs and Features).

It is now generally rated as the lowest of these listed programs.

Have avast! set for the normal updates and daily or weekly scans, and manually update both the others prior to any scan, and this should do you.

Thank You -

#3 qwerty654321

qwerty654321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hi -

If all of these are free versions, then Spybot Search&Destroy, can be removed (either Add/Remove or Programs and Features).

It is now generally rated as the lowest of these listed programs.

Have avast! set for the normal updates and daily or weekly scans, and manually update both the others prior to any scan, and this should do you.

Thank You -

Oh Okay. Thank you so much!

I forgot to add that I also use CCleaner, Defraggler, and I just recently (today, earlier) downloaded Speccy.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, when installing SUPERAntiSpyware it installs to run at each start-up automatically. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. If you right-click on the tray icon, select View Control Center (Preferences/Options)... to open Scanning and Program Preferences Start-Up Options, there is an option to Uncheck "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts."

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results as indicated by noknojon. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 qwerty654321

qwerty654321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, when installing SUPERAntiSpyware it installs to run at each start-up automatically. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. If you right-click on the tray icon, select View Control Center (Preferences/Options)... to open Scanning and Program Preferences Start-Up Options, there is an option to Uncheck "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts."

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results as indicated by noknojon. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

OKay. Thank you. I do not have an understanding of the registry so I will not use that. I only use CCleaner for the Cleaner and Registry. I have used the Drive Wiper to Wipe Free Space. Only once recently and I do admit, I really don't know what it does. My computer seems to be OKay more or less though. I thought it made the Free Space.. Clean.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

.......... I thought it made the Free Space.. Clean.

In fact, this is where they "suck you in" since your registry is never actually dirty, so it will not need cleaning.

If you use certain Removal tools, like Antivirus removal tools to change your Antivirus program, the remover tool is a Registry cleaner, but it Only removes the program that you are wanting to remove. These are one hit only tools, and not vague Cleaners that have no idea of what You want to keep or remove.

99% of Registry Cleaner programs are not targeted at any special item, and this is the big problem.

They can just sweep through your programs and remove any registry key that may be needed to , say , boot your system at start-up -

If this occurs, your computer O/S must be reinstalled, or fully repaired by a workshop, and it will be beyond anything we can help with.

Hope this helps you and others -

#7 qwerty654321

qwerty654321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

.......... I thought it made the Free Space.. Clean.

In fact, this is where they "suck you in" since your registry is never actually dirty, so it will not need cleaning.

If you use certain Removal tools, like Antivirus removal tools to change your Antivirus program, the remover tool is a Registry cleaner, but it Only removes the program that you are wanting to remove. These are one hit only tools, and not vague Cleaners that have no idea of what You want to keep or remove.

99% of Registry Cleaner programs are not targeted at any special item, and this is the big problem.

They can just sweep through your programs and remove any registry key that may be needed to , say , boot your system at start-up -

If this occurs, your computer O/S must be reinstalled, or fully repaired by a workshop, and it will be beyond anything we can help with.

Hope this helps you and others -

It's good to know this. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users