Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open exe program files in Win 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ed III

Ed III

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

I am trying to fix my son's ASUS Win 7 64-bit laptop which will not open exe files for loaded programs (like word, virus checkers, firefox, etc.); it will open all Win 7 services exe programs (like regedit or chkdsk). I have fixed the registry root file with a registry script that I found on the internet in two or three places (and they were consistent). I checked the registry file and all the fixes are in place; however, I still can not open programs. I was wondering if any Win 7 geeks might know of what I was missing or could look at in the registry to make the exe files open. If you need any added info, let me know and I will provide it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ed Sterling

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

The laptop is infected. Please refrain from making any changes as I would request your topic to be moved for proper attention.

Tekken

#3 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Based on your reply and the inability to run programs on his computer, such as Hijackthis; What will you have me do next, thanks, ed

BTW, the script was this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
  00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
  32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
  00,2c,00,2d,00,31,00,30,00,31,00,35,00,36,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser]
@="@shell32.dll,-50944"
"Extended"=""
"SuppressionPolicyEx"="{F211AA05-D4DF-4370-A2A0-9F19C09756A7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{ea72d00e-4960-42fa-ba92-7792a7944c1d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
@="Compatibility"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Compatibility]
@="{1d27f844-3a1f-4410-85ac-14651078412d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.exe]
"FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.FileDescription;System.ItemTypeText;System.FileVersion;System.Software.ProductName;System.Software.ProductVersion;System.Copyright;*System.Category;*System.Comment;System.Size;System.DateModified;System.Language;*System.Trademarks;*System.OriginalFileName"
"InfoTip"="prop:System.FileDescription;System.Company;System.FileVersion;System.DateCreated;System.Size"
"TileInfo"="prop:System.FileDescription;System.Company;System.FileVersion;System.DateCreated;System.Size"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
"exefile"=hex(0):

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

The scripts are ONLY made to be used for the particular case. Most malware experts have noted those reading the threads which mean they are not responsible for any unwanted effects in running certain fixes.

Tekken

#5 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

I would agree with that. The issue turned up where exe files would not open and so I researched it and tried the script. The script did not work so I am back to the original registry setup and left with the same problem. Do you have any suggestions on how to attack it for a fix. Thanks, ed

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

I have PM'd a malware expert and just need some confirmation to proceed. Will give you the instructions as soon as he is available.

Edit : Malware Expert Instructor Oh My (aka Gary) has replied and would give you the steps and guidelines as he will take over this thread from now on. :thumbup2:

Edited by jhayz, 10 June 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Tekken

#7 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts so far.  I am located in AZ so my on-line hours are 0600 to about 2100 MST. Ed

#8 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,000 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Greetings Ed,

Sorry for the delay. Because of your issues and modifications to the registry I would like you to post in the Malware Forum as instructed below.

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#9 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

OK, I tried to run DDS.com and no joy. I provided a description in the post I made in the Malware Removal Log forum as requested. Ed

#10 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,000 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

As the issue is now posted here this topic will be closed so as to avoid confusion.

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users