Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C Drive full?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

This is the second time I've gotten an error message while trying to update a program on my computer.

Supposedly my C Drive is extremely full.

Even doing a defrag+disk clean up, my pie chart showa very little space left.

There are probably numerous files stored on my drive that can be deleted, but I have no idea which ones to delete +which are necessary. I don't understand the "inner workings" of my system, so I'd really appreciate input here.

When I did a general search here at BC + entered C Drive full, most what I saw pertained to malware/virus/infection, so I don't know what to do..

I appreciate any+all help.

honu1

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Most files that fills up a partition or drive are media files. Use http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/ and see if you can post a screenshot while the directories are expanded.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Edited by jhayz, 09 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Tekken

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hoping I did this correctly. I also have a full report from JAM Software,which I will try to add to a folling postAttached File  Result.txt   8.44KB   3 downloads

#4 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Can't seem to get the JAM report over, so I will try to copy/paste the long way. Anything to help resolve this issue! Well, I can't seem to figure out how to copy/paste this particular report. I don't know if a screen shot will show everything as this list is quite long.Sorry.

honu1

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

Did you check Partitions and Memory Size in Minitoolbox? The text report is incomplete. Use the Windows Snipping Tool (see the link above) to capture the image and save it on your desktop then upload it here http://imgur.com/

Tekken

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

I can't get the minitoolbox to work for me today. Nor, can I copy the info you need to post here. Do you have any other ways to help me? Otherwise I'll be forced to take my system to Best Buy next week+I am rather uneasy with that choice. I'm sorry, but I'm so helpless when it comes to understanding how to repair my system. Please don't give up on me yet?????

Hopefully

honu1

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

I do have MS Paint installed on my system, but can't figure out how t oget the report over to you. After deleting +reinstaaling the Mini toolbox, I don't see any area to check for last 10 events viewer

last installed programs+list users

partitions+memory size.

This is all so confusing.....sigh. After using the link you gave me for imgur.com,I still had no clue how to use it.

Help,please?????? :smash:

honu1

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

How many partitions (C, D, E...) is created for that hard drive? Do you have an external/portable drive to transfer your documents? Go to My Computer and post the capacity and used space (Ex. 390 Gb free of 571) next time.

Some things to check also but would suggest to backup your important files usually on the Users folder location.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-delete-system-restore-points-windows-7/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows7/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup

Tekken

#9 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

I have one hard disk--Drive C.

Local disk

File system:NTFS

Capacity 465 GB

Used space--464 GB

Free space--1.37 GB

Devices with removable storage is six.

D, E, F, G, H, I.

I've noticed that when I perform a disk defrag I get a choice of 2 drives. One is the C drive, the other is something called system reserved.

I do have an external hard drive. I've never performed nor deleted system restore points, but I see you supplied a link.

I perform weekly both disk cleanup+disk defrag. Today it took about an hour to complete the disk defrag.

Is it possible to move anything from my C drive to any of the other drives?

I appreciate your time+patience with me. After I get this problem resolved, I'm wondering if I should get a memory chip with tons of storage?

Thanks

honu1

Edited by honu1, 16 June 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

The main use of external drives primarily is for backup purposes and yes you can move your media files to another drive then delete those files to free up disc space. Look into your users folder - downloads, pictures, movies and see if there is anything that is taking up that huge capacity. If there were deleted items on recycle bin, please right- click the icon then empty the bin. Do not worry about the upgrade and system reserved as for now. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users