Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to repartition reformat and start over

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chirp54

Chirp54

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for any help!

I replaced the harddrive in an HP laptop which belongs to my nephew. He has no backups or disks of course.

Not being real experienced at this I downloaded a Win 7 in  ISO format online hoping I could use the Windows 7 product ID (same version) that's on the bottom of the 

laptop to activate it. I wasn't trying to get anything for nothing, I figured he already paid for the original software etc. etc. etc.

The computer would not take the Product ID so I proceeded leaving it blank.

The install from a USB drive actually went very smoothly and I could get on the Internet etc. But it would not let me update Windows or Flash etc. and I was stuck with no service pack updates and limited to IE8

I ran some utilities that I got from the same site I got the ISO from and I started getting messages that the software was not real, or official or whatever.

So could someone please instruct me how to repartition the harddrive and reformat it so I can tell me nephew he's got to purchase a real OEM version for about $100. I just want to clean it up before

installing fresh OS.

Thank You Very Much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Newer HP laptops comes with recovery partitions and some do not. Please post the computer model next time. If the replaced drive came with a recovery partition and the recovery discs were not made, then its more likely that a full Windows 7 version is needed to install an OS on the new drive. If the laptop drive did not have any recovery partition, then there is more likely a chance to order a set of recovery discs on the HP support site which a re much cheaper. See HP recovery disc FAQ

Edited by jhayz, 09 June 2013 - 09:19 PM.

Tekken

#3 Chirp54

Chirp54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Thank you. I forgot to indicate that the old drive seemed to be 'electronically' dead. It wouldn't spin up or anything. I have a harness that let's me connect a removed drive to a USB port on my desktop and I can see it as an external drive. I could not get activity from the old drive when harnessed to my desktop.

I have to admit here, just in case it may help someone, after all is said and done and I called friends and contacted good forums like this one, the problem was that I misread a digit in the product key. I called a character an 8 when it was a B.

I wasted a good 10-15 hours on this project. I did double-check them. Now I know I have to at least triple check them. I have to ask though can they make those characters any smaller? Yes I know magnifying glasses are my friend.

#4 BIGDADDYCOOL68

BIGDADDYCOOL68

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

I AM NEW HERE BUT IF YOUR ALLOWED TO I CAN GIVE U MY SKYPE NAME AND CAN FIX THAT FOR YOU IN ABOUT FIVE MINS IF YOU WISH

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

I AM NEW HERE BUT IF YOUR ALLOWED TO I CAN GIVE U MY SKYPE NAME AND CAN FIX THAT FOR YOU IN ABOUT FIVE MINS IF YOU WISH

Please...for the protection of unknowing members...and maintaining the integrity of all efforts to assist those in need...we do NOT conduct forum business via any private means (PM, email, etc.) where all other forum members have no clue what is advised, suggested, recommended.

If you have useful information to convey...post such under the normal scrutiny that each forum post receives from every member...within the forum, within the topic in that forum.

If not, then please do not make comments within a topic initiated by another member...which are literally of no value in attempting to resolve the computer situation which has been presented by the OP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2013 - 07:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users