Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Wireless Network Help... Bad!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phlashlite

phlashlite

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

I'm pretty much at my wits end... Have made numerous calls to D-Link tech support, and while they've been helpful they have yet to resolve my problem. I'll give as much info here as I can, although it will be lengthy. :thumbsup:

In my office I have a D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless Router - in the livingroom a D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless NIC. Both PCs are running Win 98SE and are fully patched (as far as O/S). The office PC has no trouble with internet access and is connected with a wire to the router, then to a cable modem. I have dutifully installed my wireless NIC per instructions (driver first, then shut down and install card in PCI slot). No matter what I do I cannot get these two machines to talk to each other. There is less than 30 feet between the wireless devices and practically a direct sight line between the antennas.

I am not getting any flashing of the blue wireless indicator light on the router. While on my cordless phone with D-Link tech support today, I reset the router and while this was occuring I could hear clicks in the phone indicative of the router putting out a wireless signal but it eventually stops and the wireless status lamp goes solid (no blinking) once the reset is complete. I remember that when I first installed the router I was noticing some slight interference with my PC speakers. I feel this was an indication of a wireless signal being broadcast, but I haven't noticed this for some time now.

On the router I've had the SSID created along with an encryption key which was dutifully entered into the Air-Link Wireless Configuration Utility. As far as I could tell all configuration items on the wireless NIC machine were properly set but the PC will not pick up any signal from the router. Once changes are made refreshing produces no results. The router has been reset (taken back to default configuration) and channels changed from 6 to channel 11 on both machines - nothing. D-Link even sent me a new NIC opining that the original one I purchased through Buy.com was defective. That changed nothing. I have even unplugged my 2.4GHz cordless phone to negate the possibility of interference. Nothing. I've gone through so many router configuration screens, D-Link FAQs, Knowledge Base articles and User Manual text that my head is spinning. It has been more than a month since I got this equipment and I have at times stayed away from the problem only because I needed a break. If only I could put a hard wire between these two machines... but unfortunately it's impossible in my home.

I'll probably be calling D-Link support back again today (we had a session earlier today) to continue to troubleshoot this issue, but I'm really wearing down. It's not like I haven't tried to take care of this problem myself before asking for help. I've tried setting up MAC filters (doesn't work because the router can't see the WNIC), I've tried every configuration tweak I could find on the WNIC machine and the router configuration
but am never able to detect a signal.

I don't know if any settings in Windows that relate to networking have to be addressed. It should be noted that previously these two machines were successfully networked for file and internet sharing on a hard wire through a LinkSys BESFR41 router. The machines were eventually disconnected and packed away as I was moving. Now they're in my new home and I simply tried to re-establish the network, but wirelessly. The previous network was running under ZoneAlarm Pro on both machines. Now I have ZA Pro disabled on both PCs and the router machine has a trial version of Outpost Pro installed. There is currently no firewall software running on the WNIC machine.

Is there any hope...? :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

Well the LED when it blinks means that there is activity when it is solid that means that there is a link. Well that is what it does on my D-Link 604.

BTW when you installed the new wireless card did you take out an older NIC card? If so did you uninstall the drivers for the old card?

Just to make sure the drivers are installed right click on My Computer, click on proprities then go to device manager. Check to see if there is any unkown devices. If there is click on it, click proprities and click on update drivers. Then search for the drivers on the floppy or cd that came with the NIC card.

#3 phlashlite

phlashlite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the reply, Kinkaroo. Yes, removed the old NIC and I uninstalled the drivers for the old NIC as well. I didn't uninstall the old NIC drivers at very first but when I was having problems getting things to work that was one thing that I noticed and corrected it. That was in the very beginning and the new WNIC has been removed and reinstalled (along with its drivers - everything done in the proper order and manner) several times since then - in addition to having a replacement WNIC shipped from D-Link and going through the installation process (by the book) all over again.

Now that I'm thinking about it, when I uninstalled the old NIC drivers, what I did was to go into Device Manager and remove the entry for the old NIC. I also went into Control Panel/Network and removed the entry for the old NIC in the Network Components list. I think that should have done it, no?

I checked Network adapters within Device Manager as you suggested and everything seems fine. There are 3 entries - my WNIC, a Dial-up Adapter and a Microsoft TV/Video Connection. The WNIC is flagged as working properly and the main driver is shown as ABA39x.sys, which would be correct for my O/S.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hmmm.... I'm out of ideas hopefully someone else can help...

#5 phlashlite

phlashlite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks anyway... I appreciate the effort.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

In the Device Manager is th box with Enable/Disable set Enable? Have you tried re-installing the PCI NIC to see if it still works or if it is a globle problem? Is your WNIC possibily set to "ad hoc mode"?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:02 PM

sorry, another guy butting in, lol, just to make sure im straight about what you need/want. you have 2 computers, 1 wired, 1 wireless, the w/s cant get net access and of course file sharing. both are win98.
so the big trouble is your w/s card is not seeing your router. have you taken your router and physically moved it literally beside your w/s computer to see if you have w/s issues? have you checked out a firmware update for your router? if you move your router beside your computer and still not get any signal, you should think about the real possibility that you may have a bad router. these things shouldnt give you this much grief. you shouldnt have to be at your wits end, and call dlink tech support numerous times to get it working.
btw did you check to see if you are in "ad hoc" mode like acklan said, lol, that got me once for about 15 minutes, lol.
post back please
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users