Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop won't connect to wireless first manual attempts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jiggy1965

jiggy1965

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Though I've set it to 'automatically' my laptop won't connect to my wireless modem on startup. I have to do it manually most of the time and this takes a lot of attempts. The first 5-10 minutes I'm doing it manually, clicking on my network name and choosing 'connect'. It will then often say failed and I have to do it again, and again, and again. Finally it either connects by itself after all, or one of my manual attempts is successful. Both cases I now am connected and have no problems staying connected. So I'm guessing there's no hardware error since it all works after that and I don't loose the connection. The next day I startup my laptop again. And again I have to manually try to get a connection for the first 5 minutes. Again after a lot of attempts it finally connects and I can internet again problem free. I've updated the Broadcom adapter driver and Windows 7 is also fully updated. What else can I check? What can cause my laptop  to not being able to connect the first few attempts while staying connected once it finally does connect? All my other equipment (netbook, imac, iPhone) don't have a problem so it's also not my modem at fault. Any suggestions where to check on my laptop to find the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

A suggestion. Next time you have fought your way to a connection, click on the wi-fi symbol at the right hand end of your taskbar. this will bring up a list of the routers active within range, your own should be at the top of the list. Click on it, and it will expand into a bigger bar with a 'Disconnect' button.

Do NOT click on the 'Disconnect' button !  Right click anywhere else on this bar and a little menu will pop up. Click on 'Properties'. This will bring up a dialogue box called 'SSID wireless Network Properties' ( SSID is the name assigned to your router, mine is 'Begonia' - it's easier to pick out from a crowd ! )

On the tab called 'Security', make sure that the settings shown are correct for your network, change them is necessary, and that the access code is correct. Tick the box 'Show characters' to allow you to read it.

On the tab called 'Connection', it will show the name of your router, with three tick boxes below it. Make sure that the top one - Connect automatically - is ticked and you could try ticking the bottom one - Connect even if SSID is not being transmitted.

The above normally works. If it doesn't, you have a fairly exotic problem. Post back !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jiggy1965

jiggy1965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

That didn't work I'm afraid. The security settings were correct. The same as on my netbook which hasn't got problems getting online. Ticked the 'connect even if SSID...' checkbox. But still most of the time it won't automatically connect and I have to try it manually the first few attempts. It's like the first few times something is blocking access to my network. The modem channel is set to 'auto' but I've also tried setting it to a fixed channel, but that didn't work either. My imac, iPhone, netbook, ipods and ps3 don't have a problem connecting to the network. It isn't only on my network. When I take my laptop elsewhere on another  one's network, I have to do it manually a few times to until it finally connects. And once it connects it stays connected. I guess the adapter isn't defected else it would loose connection after that too? There is something that inteferes with the adapter connecting to the network the first few times. But what could it be? 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

OK, your wireless unit drivers are up to date, as is Windows, and your settings are correct. This is beginning to sound like a hardware problem with the wireless unit in your laptop itself, possibly an intermittent connection fault but it is surprising that once it starts working it keeps working. I have known the wirelss units in laptops fail even though they still test OK.

About all I can suggest is that you get your hands on a USB wi-fi dongle and try that - see if you can borrow one off a friend. A lot of people with desktops use them, I do myself. You may also need the driver software, but Win 7 contains the drivers for quite a lot of them. If you try this, and it works first time every time, this would point to the unit in your laptop. You would then have the choice of either permanently acquiring a dongle of your own or persevering with the one inside your laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users