Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help with my wife's Laptop MOVED from AII

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jonknite

jonknite

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

There are several programs that start that I don't need, like MS Messenger and HP help.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 June 2013 - 09:18 AM.
moved from MRL. Also edited title

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Malware is most likely NOT the reason those things are starting.

You simply need to disable them from running on start up, if that is what is happening.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241049/how_to_disable_windows_startup_programs.html details a few ways to do this.

If it works, great. If not post back.

Also, does she use Windows Messenger? If not, it can be uninstalled.

#3 jonknite

jonknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Okay i uninstalled those, but now it just keeps crashing with the following screen. Well i would attach a screen shot but i can't figure out how to do it.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

What is your Operating System?

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jonknite

jonknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Windows 7

#6 jonknite

jonknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

20130622_191735_zps332e4f1e.jpg

Here it is

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Moved to WIN 7

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Boopme !

Jonknite, as it says on your screen shot, I would start by trying to start Windows in 'Safe Mode'. You do this by tapping the 'F8' key a couple of times while the BIOS screen is showing. This is the screen with the computer manufacturer's logo splashed all over it that you see as soon as you switch on. This should take you to a black screen with white text and at the top it says 'Start Windows in Safe Mode', 'Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking' and a few other things. Use the Up and Down arrows to select 'Safe Mode with Networking' and the 'Enter' key to start it running. the 'Safe'Mode' screen looks a bit odd if you haven't seen it before - black background, large icons, and the word 'SafeMode' in each corner, this is normal.

To eliminate the chance of the problem being malware related, I would download and run Malwarebytes if you don't have it on your computer you can get here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Let it update and then run a quick scan, this should put your mind at rest. Then shut down your computer and see if it will restart normally. Sometimes this is all you need to do, and sometimes it isn't.

If it doesn't start normally, then repeat the 'F8' process, but this time select 'Repair my computer' which is near the bottom of the page. This can take a few minutes to run its routines. If it solves your problem, it will ask you to re-boot, and then start normally. It may not solve the problem, in which case it will ask if you want to try advanced recovery methods. Click 'Yes'.

This will take you to a Windows Restore dialogue box. Pick a restore point from before you tried uninstlling this software and 'Accept'. it should then restore your computer to an earlier point in time and it should start normally. Let's get it running first before we worry about removing unwanted software !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 jonknite

jonknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it.

#10 jonknite

jonknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Not so fast. A new issue, I now get random Bing advertisements, audio only, but no browser windows open.

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Not so fast. A new issue, I now get random Bing advertisements, audio only, but no browser windows open.

Sounds like you have been infected if you are hearing audio and pop-up ads.

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users