Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM is a M/soft tool also

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

If you hit the Microsoft sites and quote MBAM, note they have now got their own version.

Actually it is now Version 2, so it has been around for a while, but not sure how long they called it MBAM -

Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM) - Link below

Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware bosses forgot to register the MBAM acronym :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

This isn't a new change (and does not coincide with the release of version 2). I've seen it called MBAM for at least a couple of years. MDOP and presumably MBAM itself goes back to Vista days (a quick check reveals 1st April 2008 as launch date), and whilst I can find no evidence of the MBAM acronym in use at that time, or even a mention of the existence of that time, I wouldn't be too surprised if it made it into the September 15th R2 - after all, BitLocker has existed since Vista.

A quick check of Malwarebytes suggests its MBAM was first released January 2008, and whilst I don't know how long it took to take off in a large way, it is conceivable that Microsoft decided on their name before Malwarebytes did, or before it became large. After all, Vista was first announced in July 2005 and Bitlocker must have been announced considerably before release too (although I can't find a specific date), therefore it is possible that MBAM was initially planned at a similar time.

So...Microsoft MBAM may well have been planned before Malwarebytes' AM. Just because it's a security tool, and this is in large part a security forum, doesn't necessary mean it came first. :thumbup2:

I'll keep exploring which MDOP MBAM was first in, and when it was first announced, as this is crucial to this argument...

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#3 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:41 AM

Found it...

MBAM was first released in MDOP 2011 R2, which was available from 1st August 2011: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/business/archive/2011/08/01/mdop-2011-r2-now-available-for-download.aspx

OK, so this was quite a bit later than I at first guessed. However, a couple of points from that blog post: firstly, the MBAM acronym has been used right from initial release, secondly, the public beta had already been available for several months.

Digging further into that blog reveals the first record I can find to MBAM at http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/business/archive/2011/04/04/management-and-security-enhancements-for-enterprise-customers-with-dart-and-mbam.aspx

on April 2011, however, that was posted in the same week as the release of public beta. The actual announcement came March 2011: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/business/archive/2011/03/23/opening-the-window-to-pc-management-in-the-cloud.aspx

Not long before the beta. It is therefore likely that planning started in 2010, IMO. This leaves a two year gap - so fair play, Malwarebytes likely did get there first with the acronym, but it's still only an acronym :)

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

#4 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Just a quick F.Y.I.

I have been a member at MBAM forum for a few years - noknojon Member Since 23 Sep 2008
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showuser=4124 My profile there.

Earliest version on File Hippo says Released: 16 Jan 2009, but I had used the program and had been a member prior to that.

Wiki has the earliest dates > >
Made by Malwarebytes Corporation, it was first released in January 2008.

Bleeping Computer in 2008 listed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as a method of removing fake security applications such as MS Antivirus.

More of an information post :rolleyes: I assume now.

#5 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

Just a quick F.Y.I.

I have been a member at MBAM forum for a few years - noknojon Member Since 23 Sep 2008
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showuser=4124 My profile there.

Earliest version on File Hippo says Released: 16 Jan 2009, but I had used the program and had been a member prior to that.

Wiki has the earliest dates > >
Made by Malwarebytes Corporation, it was first released in January 2008.

Bleeping Computer in 2008 listed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as a method of removing fake security applications such as MS Antivirus.

More of an information post :rolleyes: I assume now.

Thank you very much for that :) It's really interesting to hear that BC already listed Malwarebytes' (MB)AM in 2008.

When I was first checking up dates for my post, as soon as saw the first release dates of MDOP, I thought it was going to be fairly clear cut of Microsoft's MBAM came first, to be completely honest. The way I saw it, BitLocker was going to need a corporate administration tool right from the outset, so I assumed that MBAM was going to be part of one of the very early versions of MDOP. A quick check of dates suggests that Microsoft would then have taken the name a good year before Malwarebytes.

But...that wasn't at all the case as my second post revealed. It seems that Group Policy was all that existed prior to customer demands for further corporate management of BitLocker. So yes, Malwarebytes did seem to get there first, but TBH, so very many acronyms are shared that I don't see it as too much of a problem personally (and I fully accept that you never complained about it either, merely stated it as an interesting fact).

Richard

#6 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

You used to have an uninstall for MBAM, I could not find it, Is it not needed anymore?

Jim

PS- Right now I have deleted thru recycle bin, I know that I can get it back, if I needed it, I read that MBAM and Norton  

NIS are incompatible, most anti virus stuff is , right?

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#7 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Hi Jim -

Full Malwarebytes Uninstall Tool and all directions needed.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to work alongside at least 95% of Antivirus programs, as it is an Anti Malware tool only, not Antivirus, so it works in a different way to your Antivirus program (like most Add-on programs).
There have been a few problems with a certain version of Norton programs, but this is usualy not a major problem with other Antivirus programs.

Hope this helps -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users