Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI Cable Question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 daic

daic

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hello,

Intro:

Purchased a TV for use as a secondary monitor, connecting through a Male to Male HDMI Cable.

I have seen a lot of HDMI cables in a variety of prices.

For best quality, I will need one with 1080p (600Hz) compatibility.

Of course the price also varies due to Length, (I only need about 6 ft., can use less if i move tower close to TV)

TV:

LG Electronics 60PN6500 60-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV

Question:

Does anyone have any recommendations for connecting a 10809,600Hz HDMI Cable?

I am willing to pay the cost, but dont want to overpay since ill be using a couple of the cables.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

~daic

P.S. I can post specific products if needed.

Edited by daic, 09 June 2013 - 02:52 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

There's no need for anything special for 1080p. The 600Hz is irrelevant as it is a sub-field drive system generated within the TV. Any $20 HDMI cable should be fine.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

There's no need for anything special for 1080p. The 600Hz is irrelevant as it is a sub-field drive system generated within the TV. Any $20 HDMI cable should be fine.

Thank you for your reply.

You said "should work fine", what do you mean by that?

So if the TV is 120Hz or 600Hz, any HDMI Cable will deal with that?

I had thought the refresh rate was different for cables.

Or are the new HDMI cables now-a-days all able to support up to 600Hz? (or even 1200Hz)

Here's this 2-pack:   http://www.amazon.com/GE-87704-High-Speed-Cables-Ethernet/dp/B0057LA7KK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370763657&sr=1-1&keywords=GE+600hz+hdmi+cable

What makes this one more?:    http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-1000-HDmi-Video-Cable/dp/B000FIS7KC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370763904&sr=1-4&keywords=600hz+hdmi+cable

Amazon.com HDMI:     http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370763813&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+cable

Thanks again for the reply, your input is appreciated!

~daic

P.S. I purchased a cable from bestbuy (which i will likely return), a Audioquest Forest 5m Cord (support 1080p, 120:240:600Hz) for about $150.00 usd. I have to be missing something here for such a price difference. I know the cable length has to due with the price, but the Amazon.comBasics cable (3rd one listed) at 25ft is for $17.99 usd.

Perhaps a $20.00 usd cable is the best price range for a decent quality connection plug and higher priced are "in-wall" installation?

Edited by daic, 09 June 2013 - 04:32 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Just a bit of general information and prices that I hope Platypus will not mind (he is the electrician) -

1080P 3D HDMI V1.4 Male to Male Connection Cable - Black + Yellow(10M-Cable Length) AU$23.50

HDMI 1.4 Full HD 1080p High Speed HDMI Cable with 3D Compatibility - Male to Male Cable - 3m - Australian version, and the cost is within 50 cents -

Relating these to the 3rd link - - -
3ft = $5 -- 6'6" = $6 -- 9ft = $7.50 -- 15ft = $11.50 -- 25ft = $18
You pay $xx for the ends (highest cost) and assembly + $xx per foot of cable + a bit extra for handling/storage.

If you look at all the cables and plugs shown in your links, some also seem a bit "better quality" than others.

Information sourced from other sites ...................

Your TV is a plasma TV and the 600hz number is just for advertising as it is not the same measurement as in LCD TV.
In short runs there will be no noticeable difference so even if you pick a cable up locally don't go for an fancy cable.
So long as it is 1.4 it will be fine.

Also, unless you're getting an exceptional deal (less than $1 per foot of cable) or absolutely cannot wait a few days for delivery, I wouldn't purchase a cable from Best Buy.

My version -

This is quite often how things like Power Cords and other items are priced.
~ Approx, $2.50 per plug ~ + $xx per foot of cable - The more Standard lengths are usually a bit cheaper

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Amazon.com: Cables Unlimited 6-feet HDMI Male to Male Cable (PCM-2295-06): Electronics

$3.79 + Free Shipping

Read the reviews...especially the latest ones.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

My only caution in saying "should" is that I can't give a general guarantee that any cable "will" be fine. It wasn't clear whether your priority for quality was signal quality, or quality of construction - even a budget cable that just meets HDMI specification will deliver a quality signal at that length and resolution. This is just the nature of digital data. It's possible that premium cables are very well constructed and could be superior, in areas of physical durability or EMI shielding, but it's very difficult to see ten times better value in a $200 cable compared with a $20 one, when the TV image will look the same.

#7 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Just a bit of general information and prices that I hope Platypus will not mind (he is the electrician) -

1080P 3D HDMI V1.4 Male to Male Connection Cable - Black + Yellow(10M-Cable Length) AU$23.50

HDMI 1.4 Full HD 1080p High Speed HDMI Cable with 3D Compatibility - Male to Male Cable - 3m - Australian version, and the cost is within 50 cents -

Relating these to the 3rd link - - -
3ft = $5 -- 6'6" = $6 -- 9ft = $7.50 -- 15ft = $11.50 -- 25ft = $18
You pay $xx for the ends (highest cost) and assembly + $xx per foot of cable + a bit extra for handling/storage.

If you look at all the cables and plugs shown in your links, some also seem a bit "better quality" than others.

Information sourced from other sites ...................

Your TV is a plasma TV and the 600hz number is just for advertising as it is not the same measurement as in LCD TV.
In short runs there will be no noticeable difference so even if you pick a cable up locally don't go for an fancy cable.
So long as it is 1.4 it will be fine.

Also, unless you're getting an exceptional deal (less than $1 per foot of cable) or absolutely cannot wait a few days for delivery, I wouldn't purchase a cable from Best Buy.

My version -

This is quite often how things like Power Cords and other items are priced.
~ Approx, $2.50 per plug ~ + $xx per foot of cable - The more Standard lengths are usually a bit cheaper

Thank you for your reply and the information.

I know the "Hz" is different rated from a LCD and Plasma, but i have seen cords whom state LCD @ 120Hz etc and Plasma @ 600Hz (Labeled specifically on the package, not just a general "Hz" ratings stated.

Amazon.com: Cables Unlimited 6-feet HDMI Male to Male Cable (PCM-2295-06): Electronics

$3.79 + Free Shipping

Read the reviews...especially the latest ones.

Thanks you for your input, does anyone else agree this cable will do fine? Or should i go for a little higher prices one?

My only caution in saying "should" is that I can't give a general guarantee that any cable "will" be fine. It wasn't clear whether your priority for quality was signal quality, or quality of construction - even a budget cable that just meets HDMI specification will deliver a quality signal at that length and resolution. This is just the nature of digital data. It's possible that premium cables are very well constructed and could be superior, in areas of physical durability or EMI shielding, but it's very difficult to see ten times better value in a $200 cable compared with a $20 one, when the TV image will look the same.

Thanks for the reply and clarification (just was curious as to what you meant), of course your reasoning is sound.

Conclusion:
Seems as long as the cable is the 1.4 standard, it wont matter which cable i get. The more money, the better the construction. More construction for higher priority, in wall installation.needs.

(Sound right to everyone?)

Thanks again everyone, i appreciate the time taken to reply.

~daic

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I bought this25 foot HDMI cable for $7.99 US plus shipping.

"HDMI CABLE INSTEN  675780 R"

The same source that I bought the 32" HDTV for my Brother and the 24" HDTV for the bedroom.

I needed to run HDMI from a DVR in one room to another. It works fine. Pretty much All my HDMI cables are really inexpensive and the only problem I had with one was that the HDMI plug pulled free from it.

I just bought a 35 foot HDMI cable, same brand same source as the 25 foot turned out to be somewhat short. I expect it will be OK too.

HDMI is digital, You either get a signal or you don't.

My best guess is that if You Bought the TV and $150 cable from the same place that they made more on the cable than on the TV set.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I bought this25 foot HDMI cable for $7.99 US plus shipping.

"HDMI CABLE INSTEN  675780 R"

The same source that I bought the 32" HDTV for my Brother and the 24" HDTV for the bedroom.

I needed to run HDMI from a DVR in one room to another. It works fine. Pretty much All my HDMI cables are really inexpensive and the only problem I had with one was that the HDMI plug pulled free from it.

I just bought a 35 foot HDMI cable, same brand same source as the 25 foot turned out to be somewhat short. I expect it will be OK too.

HDMI is digital, You either get a signal or you don't.

My best guess is that if You Bought the TV and $150 cable from the same place that they made more on the cable than on the TV set.

Good Luck

Roger

Thank you for replying!

I only bought the cable because i wanted it now, and to test out the expensive version of the cable. (i didn't purchase the TV from best-buy).

My main concern is that some cables do list Hz compatibility, but others don't; however...

I'm assuming now that the 1.4 versions of the cables are all the same standard aside for the cable/connector construction, which is why there are higher priced cables at $50.00+ usd.

If you were going to install the cable through a wall, it would think it be best to purchase the higher end cable, as they are built better and will be better off in that setting.

Think i would purchase the GE 2-pack, as they look much better made compared to the Amazon.com-basic cable.

Ill compare the GE 2-pack to the cable I currently have, and see if there's a difference;

if so, i will mostly likely go for a $20.00 usd cable, as Platypus had originally stated.

I'm not as worried about the cable going from the cable box to the TV or even the XBOX360, only the cable going from the computer/blu-ray player to TV, as they are both able to output a 1080p picture.

it just hits me as odd that some cables stated HZ and others didn't, guess its just something they are able to put on the package (market) and the only change is the build quality and some cables offer faster Ethernet speed. (Of course cable/connector quality do effect picture quality, but it seems now the $20.00 cords offer the best end quality, without stepping into the "in-wall" standards.

Looks like Ive got this down (let me know if I'm missing something, please :thumbup2:).

-Thanks yet again everyone~

~daic

Update:

After a little closer look, i will most likely go with this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HW5E5Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2T13QS8G1T8U6

Its less than $1.00 usd than the GE, but to me, looks a little better quality and worth the little extra, plus the benefit of getting a little shorter cable for the blu-ray player, as a 6ft. cord is longer than i need.

Would like to hear back from Platypus on my choice, if possible; Noknojon had mentioned he was an electrician.

Edited by daic, 09 June 2013 - 11:03 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

I do make my living as a repairer of consumer electronics - and I don't see any problem with the cable on Amazon, I'd use it.

I think the labeling of cables with the differing Hz ratings of TV receivers is just so purchasers don't get so confused and think a cable would only work with an LCD TV mentioning 120Hz and they'd have to get a different cable for a Plasma with 600Hz sub-field, even though the exact same signal is being sent over the cable.

#11 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

I do make my living as a repairer of consumer electronics - and I don't see any problem with the cable on Amazon, I'd use it.

I think the labeling of cables with the differing Hz ratings of TV receivers is just so purchasers don't get so confused and think a cable would only work with an LCD TV mentioning 120Hz and they'd have to get a different cable for a Plasma with 600Hz sub-field, even though the exact same signal is being sent over the cable.

Thanks for the update!

Ill go for the last one posted.

Query: Are DVI male to DVI male cables the same fashion? This this work fine, correct? (Plasma Monitor)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000X0VCY/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

-cheers

~daic

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

Yes, DVI uses the exact same signalling system as HDMI, and I don't see any reason to think it won't be fine.

Edit: a couple of reviews claim they were sent a single link cable, presumably an error in dispatch which would be annoying but should be corrected by the supplier if it happened.

Edited by Platypus, 10 June 2013 - 01:11 AM.

#13 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:11 AM

Yes, DVI uses the exact same signalling system as HDMI, and I don't see any reason to think it won't be fine.

Thanks again.

Out of curiosity, im seeing what the AmazonBasics HDMI cable Ethernet speed is.

Ill post that what they reply, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply everyone, hope its helped clarify things for more than just myself.

~daic

ANSWER TO UPDATE:

Ill keep that in mind, ill see if theres any other basic DVI cables that has better reviews, if needed.

EDIT: Heres an example of a HDMI cable that states is can only do up to 240hz refresh rate, due to the older standard:

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B00316263Y/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by daic, 10 June 2013 - 01:33 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#14 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

The "ratings" on HDMI cables are unregulated, and its all technical gibberish that doesnt mean anything, I have a 35ft HDMI 1.2 that I have run with a full 1080P 3D bluray full 7.2 audio channels and it worked as well if not better than a more expensive and recent HDMI 1.4 purchase

There was a study done shortly after either HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 came out between a Monster Cable (Monster cable brand prides themselves on their superior specification) brand HDMI cable and unfolded wire coathangers, at the end of the day there was no discernable difference between the two, they both worked equally as well.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi, As regards DVI one thing to be aware of is that DVI cables come in Analog and Digital. You need the Digital (DVI-D) for Your TV set.

This link may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

You only seem to find the analog in the computer field. I mention it because a DVI-A cable won't plug into the DVI digital only port.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users