Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I successfully remove Bios password?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pollycracker

pollycracker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

I have another Toshiba laptop that I use to use back when I was in college. I have forgotten the Bios password.  What do I do to successfully remove the Bios password? It is a Toshiba, 4gb, Windows 7 laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Shut it off, then take the motherboard battery out, (NOTE : If the battery is at all difficult to remove, stop trying and read the following posts),. then if you can see a set of "Clear Bios" terminals, short circuit them together, i.e. connect them together for a few seconds to clear all bios settings. If you can't see a set of "Clear Bios" terminals, then leave the motherboard battery out overnight before you put it back in. That will insure that any capacitance gets drained from the bios, so without the battery the settings go to their defaults..

Once you put the battery back in, and reboot the machine, you should be able to get into the bios, because having cleared all settings to their defaults, including the password setting, wherein the default is no password installed, you may then enter a new one, though you will also have to go through the bios resetting the settings the way you want them. Time and date, Boot Sequence, etc.

Edited by JHMcG, 09 June 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful, removing the motherboard battery can damage your computer.

I had to tell someone that followed Internet advice to remove the motherboard battery, that following advice from the internet that they had ruined the motherboard on their Toshiba.

Most Toshiba CMOS batteries are soldered to the motherboard. The person I mention had just popped it off with a screwdriver and removed one of the circuit traces on the motherboard in the process.

Toshiba laptops can be funny, some you clear the Bios with a screwdriver and a certain power on sequence.  Other use a challenge response method, Available only to their service centers. Others (Mostly older) need special hardware.

The BIOS is designed to be hard to clear as a security measure.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 June 2013 - 08:53 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I don't use "Laptops" so I wasn't aware of that. But that being the case, another alternative would be to Type in passwords, in alphabetical order, trying one letter combo after another till you hit the right one. Though thinking about it, there should be some way to remove the Mobo Battery, otherwise what do you do when the battery dies ? Buy a new computer because a $ 3.00 part has failed ? Seems pretty STUPID to me !!!

Edited by JHMcG, 09 June 2013 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users