Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What The 'Hell' Is A Zettabyte?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

The internet has been abuzz about the new facility being built in Bluffdale, Utah.

It will be a Data storage center for The NSA.

It has been reported that the facility will be able to 'accumalate' (and store) 5 Zettabytes of information.

I had no idea of what or how much information was in a Zettabyte so .. I went looking!

This is some of what I found:

As of 2009, the entire World Wide Web was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes. This is one half zettabyte.

A Zettabyte is roughly equal to 250 billion DVDs or 36 million years of HD video

1 million times the contents of the world’s largest library or 1 billion terabytes.
*That's another story)

A better idea of the Zettabyte: On Google’s how search works feature, the company boasts how their index is well over 100,000,000 gigabytes. That’s 100,000 terabytes!

So figure that there are 1,073,741,824 (that's over one billion) terabytes in a Zeattabyte and .. Well, Even Google has a lot of catching up to do!

According to The Guardian, the term had to be created due to the fact that the total amount of digital content in the world grew by 62 percent last year to a total of 800,000 Petabytes, or 0.8 ZBs.  

As one description I read described it, it is enough information to fill 75 billion iPads … not that there are even that many iPads in the world!

That many ipads stacked one upon another would reach beyond the moon!

mv5d95.jpg

n2cnt4.jpg

As far as The Computer that is doing all this tracking?

Well ... It is the most powerful computer the world has ever known.

That machine, the Titan Supercomputer, is capable of churning through more than 20,000 trillion calculations each second or 20 petaflops. (1 petaflop = 1 quadrillion instructions per second).

(Anyone ever say that The Anti-Christ 'had' to be human?)  :devil: 

I've been talking about this Data Mining/Storage center .. now take a look at it here: http://www.businessinsider.com/pictures-of-the-nsas-utah-data-center-2013-6

Take a gander at those A/C units!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

The most powerful computer the world has ever known.

That machine, the Titan Supercomputer, is capable of churning through more than 20,000 trillion calculations each second or 20 petaflops. (1 petaflop = 1 quadrillion instructions per second).

What I wanna know is .. can I get one of these pc's and will it fit on my desktop? :grinner:

#3 Styck

Styck

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

What I wanna know is will it play YOUTUBE videos without the message:

An error has occurred please try again later :lol:

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

The most powerful computer the world has ever known.

What I wanna know is .. can I get one of these pc's and will it fit on my desktop? :grinner:

When will we see it as a cellphone?

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 Galvatron84

Galvatron84

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for that interesting informations and the illustration to explain. :graduate:

I guess with the internet getting faster and more heavy on the flash videos, more vids shown in HD and beyond and files becoming increasingly larger - in a few years terabytes, petabytes, exabytes and zettabytes might actually become household expressions. :blink:  "Hey, I wanna copy that ultra super mega high quality video onto a CD-ROM. Hand me that 700 exabytes blank disc.":thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users