Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trend Micro Titanium 2013

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Can I completely install Trend Micro Titanium 2013(without updates) and it be fully functional tool out of the box for removing older threats without an internet connection? I ask, bc some require internet access to install and use properly on older threats.

I don't have an internet connection and want a tool that's good against older threats. Judging from their websites, Bitdefender and Kaspersky require internet access so that you can install the program; what I'm saying is the codes are not enough. I have an older hard drive that is possibly infected that I need checked and cleaned of a possibly older threats(want to add it yo newer machine). So, you understand what I'm saying. I'm saying a great antivirus tool for older threats out of the box that doesn't require the internet to be useable and kill threats. Please help and thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2013 - 08:08 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hello -

Any program like Antivirus mainly, will need to be updated as often as you can, or as often as the maker says to.

First thing to remember is that your version may have been made in mid 2012, and not made in June 2013. Since then there have been another ??100?? infections made that can upset/infect your computer.

If you never use Internet, the chances of infection are VERY small, unless you use infected USB drives etc.

Is there any way that you can gain internet access for that computer (you do not say Desktop or Laptop) once each month ?

NOTE : From Wiki History, about 3 years ago.
In 1985, there were 11 known computer viruses. Today, there are more than 70,000 and new threats are detected every day.

Always update your virus definitions before performing a scan.

Thank You -

#3 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for your reply. You could never know how appreciated it is! Even for older threats like ones from 2 or more years ago. That's how long the old hard drive has been out of service. The newer PC hasn't seen the internet nor has it had dangerous files on it. I've never used some of the new great removal software out there, but I figured that they could handle old infections perfectly. I was talking 2013 antivirus software like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or Trend Micro Titanium. They get such impeccable ratings online(smartphone) at every reputable site you look. The internet is not an option due to cost. I had a dialup service before, but they(Bellsouth) merged with AT&T; we tried AT&T, but they were a scam outfit(ran up charges when they could not even get the service to work and--even if they had gotten it to work--there were absolutely no local dialup access numbers, so the potential was that we COULD be paying a satellite internet bill or more anyway).

So--then I got to thinking--what if I could get a great antivirus software that operated much like the free products used to(don't know how free products work now) for scanning the old possibly infected drive? Those products install without needing the internet(some having codes to be entered during the install). I figured that it wouldn't need to be updated bc I only need it right now for an older infection and--if I could get an internet connection--I'd take proper protocol against infection then(antivirus plus updates; antispyware plus updates; firewall; updating the OS; etc.). I need to clean up the old hard drive with an old infection(as old as 2 or more years old) and I have no internet connection. I have the options on Hiren's 15.2--namely Malwarebytes(circa around late 2012: remind you infection is at least 2 years old maybe more), Kaspersky Antirookit, and Spybot S&D. Avira and Combofix might not run(both had runtime problems--Combofix was past a date for which it was fully functional--on the newer machine). Dr. Cureit and the SuperAntispyware are not downloadable due to not having internet. My concerns were that I needed a major antivirus program to go with those options. So, now that I've extracted everything, IS THERE A GREAT ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM TODAY THAT I CAN BUY THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO SCAN FOR AND KILL AN OLDER INFECTION THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE INTERNET ACCESS TO ACCOMPLISH THIS?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

I was talking 2013 antivirus software like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or Trend Micro Titanium.

I do fully understand your question, and you tend to quote a 2013 version of a product, but you must understand that the 2013 version is a basic named install version, not a release date version. Often these CDs are made about 1 or 2 years earlier, and the boxes are branded to suit.

Generally most versions, regardless of date, can need updating once they are installed.

I personally know that the boxed version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is usually a previous (up to 2 to so year old) version, and is updated once installed on your computer (via internet).

You made no mention of Laptop or Desktop or both, as a Laptop can be plugged in and updated at most places.

These updated versions can be transfered via USB drive, and at times a CD.

The moral of what I am saying is, the box date will NOT be correct in 99.9% of cases.

About all I can add to this -

#5 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:48 AM

Here's the specs for the newer machine(the only one that is operational now):

Desktop
P4 2.8GHz 80 GB hard drive with 3 GB DDR-RAM
OS: XPSP3; It has a CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive. It doesn't have internet access(rural area of already countrified part of Mississippi) as stated above nor do I have access to a computer or center where I can download anything. I do have a smartphone, but I can't download much and that which I can really puts a hurting on the pocketbook--$20 increments for going over, each time I go over per month. To top that off, the phone downloads sometimes without telling you anything at the time and many things you may want it to download there's a compatibility problem.

#6 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

I want you to know that read everything you said and--obviously--that was one of the disclaimers I never got. I always figured that a new release covered you for close(maybe even a half a year) to that time. That probably explains why I could never fix the old system while it was running. I never had internet access like I needed it. You live and you learn I guess. Staying in the boondocks is bad for maintaining a PC. Noting... Basically, Malwarebytes is junk or almost junk. The others might also be almost junk. That is, without the internet. Even for old infections. Wow! Let me just say that this is a learning experience for me. I need some of those files; what do you suggest with the options that I have? Would you chance it and hopefully get the infection--as it could be older than 2 years? If my memory serves me correctly, my internet service was cancelled around '08. Until that time, I was updating and using my Antivirus and Antispyware programs. My computer stopped working in about '11. Thanks for answering my question; you did. Thanks for paying attention to the question and not just giving a generic answer as some people at some sites will do when given a complex question. With some sites, it's like your talking to an automated response or they get impatient with you(when they either didn't understand you or can't help you). Thanks for all your help and what would you suggest--given the specificity of my problem?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

Is there any chance a friend who has a good internet connection could send you the current off-line update file (and the program's installer if necessary) for a suitable Antivirus? For example, I have friends restricted to a very poor dial-up connection - they can do little more than email. They use Avast Free and whenever I see them I give them (on a USB flash drive) the signature update file that I get from here: http://www.avast.com/download-update

If it came to the worst I could post it to them on a CD. I expect a number of AVs can still be updated this way, but Trend Micro is not one of them.

Edited by Platypus, 10 June 2013 - 02:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

I may have Over-stated a few items in this post, but I just did not want you to expect more than what you paid for.

Platypus has given a good idea of what I was talking about -

Thanks -

#9 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks to both of you for all of your help. Let me ask you another question. Would it be possible to download the file you mentioned and others using the smartphone and then uploading it the PC? I remember majorgeeks.com used to do something like that(as far as having programs and downloading update files for various programs). I ask bc I set up 2 cousins' MP3 players using a direct USB connection and using Windows protocol to copy and paste the music. Didn't need any software; it was automatically recognized(and they were cheap models)by XP years ago. I would need to get USB data cable for starters. Is this a real possibility? If so, what apps--if any--would I need? What problems do you foresee with downloading to the android downloads folder and then trying to use it on the PC?

#10 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

majorgeeks.com still does do it for Kaspersky new product and others. Just a little tidbit.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Would it be possible to download the file you mentioned and others using the smartphone and then uploading it the PC?

As long as you are able to get the file from the smartphone to the PC. Either by cable or application or combination of the two. Without more definitive information of type of smartphone and method specified, it's difficult to say for sure if it's possible.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for all your replies and all your help! An Android App that seems to let you get from Internet to Your Download file is "Download All Files"(GooglePlay). I couldn't download at all before; the exe files were unsupported. Now, I have downloaded one file-- a bitdefender-free version 158KB file from majorgeeks.com--to my android download file. The thing is that you use it just like downloading from the web. Once you download the app, you apparently go to a site of your choosing and just download. Like I said, I need to go and buy the USB cable so that I can see if the file can be used on the PC. Hopefully, it does work. I'm going to share the avast website to my gmail account, so that I can use it when I'm in position to use it. Plus, like I said, majorgeeks.com seems to have new definition files for Kasperky and Bitdefender 2013 plus the files themselves. Anyway, thanks for all your help and I'll recommend you if I should have the chance to(what's better than techies that are patient, selfless, and solid). I even had my "Mr. Rogers moment" about the antivirus software earlier. I mean I learned something that I might not have otherwise learned! If this doesn't work, then I'll be back to repost. BUT, FOR NOW, YOU CAN CONSIDER THIS THREAD CLOSED.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi -

The topic will stay open (in this area) for others to read and if they have a similar problem, they may still add to it.

Only Malware Removal Logs topics are locked to prevent other comments -

Regards -

#14 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Cool. I didn't anything by it. I just felt like that was standard procedure. It's all good. Thanks for y'alls help; I meant every word.

#15 aajayunlimited

aajayunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

I also downloaded another file that was .99 MB in size--a driver that I had been needing for a joystick. This was a .rar file. So far, I downloaded an .exe and a .rar file. So now, the moment of truth is when I transfer the files to the PC and see if they work. Maybe there'll be a eureka moment or maybe there'll be a mixed bag or maybe neither will work. I've still got to get that USB/android phone "go between" connector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users