Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPUTER CRASHED WHILE RUNNING COMBOFIX

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hankyshank2

hankyshank2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

My Dell XPS 420 desktop with Windows Vista 32 began experiencing issues with pixels scrambling after an automatic ATI/AMD update.  I began receiving an error regarding  the graphics game card failure.  I was advised to try running ComboFix to see if that would help.   I initiated the ComboFix process and the computer crashed within a few minutes into the start of the process.  I restarted the computer and it went to a black screen with a white cursor.  I could not get into Safe Mode and all of my restore points were gone.  The error code on the computer showed a hardware failure.  So I purchased a PNY graphics card, but when I went to install the drivers it shows that I cannot access my cd/dvd drive.  I can access my flash drive.  I have tried everything that I know to get the computer running.  I purchased the Windows Vista 32 Recovery disk and converted it to a iso file.  I also purchased a Windows Vista 32 image file and converted it to an iso file.   After running the repair disk, it gave me the error 161 - error code 0xA1 and gave me a link for the tools needed to correct the problem.  The download was for DriverDetective and ReImage Repair.  I downloaded them to my flash drive and copied them to the hard drive (which I can access through x: through the F8 feature-system repair, etc.).  I attempted to run the execution files on both and received error regarding dll's not present.  I am at my wits end.  I need to load the drivers disk for the graphics card, before  I can do anything else.  I don't know what type of file to convert the files on the cd drive to get it to run on my flash drive.  ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

CD/DVD drive spindle error - won't work

No Safe Mode

No Restore points

Tried Last Good Configuration

Attempted repair

Ran chkdsk /f/r

Ran bootrec /fixmbr

No internet access

I don't want to overwrite my files.  I have so many important files that I cannot afford to lose.  Lesson learned.  Backup on flash drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

FWIW: 
No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or there is a problem with the computer caused by running it. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. Further, more information is needed by using tools like DDS, OTL, RSIT which create comprehensive logs with specific details about a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection BEFORE deciding if ComboFix should be used.

If you need assistance with a malware infection, please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log. When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Louis

#3 hankyshank2

hankyshank2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

So sorry!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

No problem...I'm a traffic cop at times and one of my duties is to direct the flow of traffic...when things go awry :).

Good luck :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users