Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interesting Boot Up Issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JDJosephsen

JDJosephsen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, so thank you for the time reading. I'm having a unique issue, or at least it seems unique to me. My computer will start up and show the first second of the boot up process and mention the RAM, and goes black. Then it shows a large screen of numbers/letters for the boot up I'd assume. It's normal to see it, then goes black again. 30 seconds later, the Windows XP loading bar shows up for just a second, then goes black. The "Starting Up Windows" prompt comes up, and I see my Profile there, but then the screen goes black. I can use memory to click on the profile, log in, etc, but the screen is still black but I can hear the windows start up music.

The whole computer is boot up, it's only showing me the first second, literally just a second, of the new screens as they cycle through and never come back until it gests to the next section. I've resate the video card as well as other portions plugged into the mobo, so I'm really at a loss of what to do since those are just simple ideas.

Let me know what you think could be. I'm fairly computer literate so I have some grasps.

Windows XP SP3

Radeon 5770 Video Card

Gigabyte MoBo

AMD Athlon II Black Edition

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Five ideas come to my mind

--- Check Device Manager and see if there are any Yellow or Red markers

--- Try Safe Mode

--- Use the VGA port, not the video card port

--- Remove the video card and use the VGA port

--- Try another monitor

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Try replacing the mobo battery with a new one and see if that helps.

#4 JDJosephsen

JDJosephsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not had the chance to get a new battery for the Motherboard, so I'll need to go look into that here soon.

However, when I try to get it into Safe Mode, it still does the exact same things where it will allow me to see the safe mode options then it will go black and if I remember where the selection is correctly, It will go through everything I'm sure but it will not be visible to me.

I took out the video card and plugged into the mobo directly through the vga port, no change in the behaviors. It still basically "blinks" at each screen that comes up.

I'd love to look at a device manager, however again, anytime it arrives at a new screen it only blinks at the screen and then goes black. I'd not be able to navigate there.

Working on the second monitor right now.... just to see what that does.

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Should mention that the only things that have ever given me "Black Screens" are dead or dying mobo batteries and defective RAM, so another thing worth trying is running Memtest.

#6 JDJosephsen

JDJosephsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Getting a second monitor in the mix has solved the "Black screens".

Now, instead of getting to the load screen, and actually getting into Windows XP like it was through the black screen, we're getting an infinite loop of rebooting. I guess the first culprit in this case would be that we're now looking at the motherboard, through everything, throwing in the towel?

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

#7 JDJosephsen

JDJosephsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'll add that this persists through Safe Mode, and all the grand options available. I've tried defaulting the BIOS options as well.

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Check your bios to insure that the SATA settings are properly set assuming

you are using SATA drives. XP does not support SATA and you have to set the bios as follows :

SATA ACHI MODE -- DISABLED

SATA PORT 0-1 NATIVE MODE -- ENABLED

#9 JDJosephsen

JDJosephsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Still no luck, adjusted the SATA drive situation... Shoot, it tells you to do it automatically anyway.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

Although it's possible, I don't think throwing in the towel applies yet

When the system boots up, can you get into Recovery Mode by selecting one of the function keys?

--- Do you have a system repair disc or the original system discs?

Double check JHMcG's ideas

--- Do the MB battery, I believe it's a CR2032 and it's very easy to replace.

------ BTW, when you got into setup, did you notice whether or not the computer's time is ok?

------ If it isn't that's a sure sign the battery needs to be replaced

On the possibility of defective RAM

--- Since you probably can't run MemTest, see if you can get at least one stick of good RAM from a local computer shop

--- It will cost a few dollars but it's a quick and easy test

When the system reloops, do do get any kind of a quick error message?

---  Although it doesn't sound like it, is it possible for you to disable automatic restart on sysytem failure?

#11 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Re my ideas, they pertained to "Booting into a black screen". If the problem is actually cyclic rebooting then it is probably either an HDD problem, or a "Windopes" problem.

That is why I have made most of the computers I have built over the years "Dual Boot Machines"; - so if one boot gets so screwed up that I can't access it, I can use the other boot to repair it, or restore it from backup, or run "Norton Ghost" to rewrite it from a "Ghost Image" file.

If you have a "Floppy Drive" I can email you a copy of "TestHDD' which is a freeware program that is the best HDD checking program that I have encountered, but the version I have only runs from a floppy drive.

Apart from that, what I would do is install a second HDD, and if you are using SATA drives, use the bios to set it as the primary drive, then do a fresh install of Windows on it. That way you can access your original Windows install and restore it from a backup if you have one, or alternately copy any system files you think are damaged from one drive to the other.

#12 JDJosephsen

JDJosephsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I tried new RAM, to no avail.

Have not done the battery yet, but the BIOS time is correct.

I do not see any flashes of error screens, it just goes through the XP loading bar, then restarts itself.

I'll have to look into trying to see if I have any extra HDDs around that I can use. I may have one at the families, but that will be a little bit until I can get over there.

No Floppy drive available unfortunately

I'll see if I can get my hands on a HDD and try that way. Otherwise, who knows!

Thanks again for all the help.

#13 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Another thing you could try assuming you have your windows install disk is go into the bios and set your first boot device as the CDROM drive, then put your windows disk in and boot from that disk, then use the "repair" option when it comes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users