Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process Killer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raistlin87

Raistlin87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Does anyone know if there a tool that will stop processes from running? What I want to do is have this tool running and tell it some processes that I don't want to run at that time and it will stop them as they start. I figure this should be useful for uninstalling malware off peoples machines that want to keep starting IE and whatnot. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

EDIT please delete this post, I have found somehting that will work.

Edited by Raistlin87, 08 June 2013 - 05:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

I am reasonably sure such a useful tool doesn't exist - it would make life too easy !

You can find a list of services running on your computer under computer management - Start/Computer (right click)/Manage/Services/Services - and you can control which services start automatically from here. But if malware either doesn't show up in this list, or calls itself something essential for the running of the computer, what do you do ?  That's where the sweat and grief comes in.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Raistlin87

Raistlin87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well I was talking about the processes that are running at any given moment not the services on the machine. You can hit ctrl+shift+esc and get the taskmanager and list the processes and kill them one at a time from there, I just thought it would be useful to have a filter on that basically. I found something that works but you have to smack a key. I will probably have to get coding on something like this later just don't have the time right now.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

These are tools to investigate running processes, programs that run at startup, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users