Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Savings-slider... What is this? I didn't download anything...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

I went to poweruprewards.com today to check the status of my points, when I noticed this tab where I've never noticed before, that said '6 points'. When I hover the mouse over it, it slides open a tab that has the title 'savings-slider'. I haven't downloaded or installed anything except for my video card driver, which came officially. I don't think it was that. I also googled savings-slider, and the second link was to this site: hxxp://savings-slider.com/uninstall.php
First link was to this site: hxxp://savings-slider.com. I've not gone to either site, on the offchance that going to one might expose me more. Anyone have any more information? Maybe the uninstall site is safe?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 June 2013 - 01:01 PM.
Deactivated links. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

From their website: (their directions may remove the adware or may not)

Uninstall Information If you installed the Chrome Extension (CRX):
  • Step 1:
    Open Chrome, click on the Settings icon, and navigate to Tools -> Extensions.
  • Step 2:
    Select the app installed from the list of extensions, and click Uninstall.
  • App is now uninstalled.

If you installed the Firefox Addon (XPI):
  • Step 1:
    Open Firefox, and navigate to Tools -> Add-ons.
  • Step 2:
    Select the app you installed from the list of add-ons, and click Uninstall.

If you installed the plugin for other browsers, or to remove all:
  • Step 1:
    Click Start, and navigate to: Control Panel.
  • Step 2:
    Select “Add/Remove Programs” from the Control Panel. For Windows Vista/7 users, this will be called “Programs/Features”.
  • Step 3:
    Select the app you downloaded from the listed programs, and click Uninstall/Remove.

You can run one or both of the free programs listed below that are designed specifically to remove adware/ crapware.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

If you still have a problem with the adware, post the logs for the two programs back here and for further assistance.

Clean up your temporary files, logs, ad/ tracking cookies using Ccleaner. No need to use its registry cleaner....not recommended.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Emankcin

Emankcin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

Ah, that did it. Thanks. Sorry about the false alarm. Ever since the zeroaccess thing, I've been a bit paranoid! Aparently, I accidentally added it with a different addon I use with firefox. I was able to remove the savings slider without incidnet. Thanks again.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Good...I think it is best to assume that every free app comes with some baggage these days.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users