Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistant Crashing Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blake987123

Blake987123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I've been experiencing sporaddic crashing for probably 2 years. The strange thing is that sometimes I'll go 2 weeks with my computer running beautifully and then one week of my computer being unusable because it crashes so frequently. It happened back on windows 7, on multiple installs of windows 8, and it seems to have crashed in ubuntu, although I rarely boot with ubuntu. Recently, the problem has escalated to where I haven't even tried to get on my computer in a couple weeks. It happens in games, but not exclusively. It'll happen when I'm watching videos or typing in Word or really doing pretty much anything. Sometimes I won't get a BSOD, but when I do they're never consistent. I've probably gotten every error code that it can throw out. A lot of the time in games the screen will suddenly turn one solid color and audio will go crazy and I have to hold down the power button to turn it off with no BSOD. My build is:
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SABRENT USB 3.0 4-Port PCI Express Card Model CP-4PTU
Corsair GS800 PSU

I've run memtest86+ for over 72 hours with no issue and the WD hard drive tool intensive test multiple times with no issue, both fomr my UBCD. Thanks for any help guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Since you already did memtest and also checked HD errors, I would lean towards a motherboard issue. I'm no expert about motherboards but that's the only part I could think of if the memory, HDD and GPU are all good. I won't consider PSU because it should be a consistent crash and shut downs when PSU is involve.

#3 Blake987123

Blake987123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Is there any good way to go about checking for a motherboard problem?

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

This sort of thing is why I make "Norton Ghost Images" of my "C" drive. If there is a problem which I cannot fix, then I restore my "C" drive from the "Ghost Image" which completely wipes the drive, (Removing all viruses, and getting rid of any boot track errors) then restores the drive from the image files. So far that has always worked for me, Sonia, and Gloria; -- and if it doesn't work then it has to be a hardware issue.

#5 Blake987123

Blake987123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Yeah I was leaning towards hardware issues because its been happening on multiple installs of multiple OSs. I'm just not sure how to check the hardware.

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

K, I am not an expert, though I know more than most people about computers. My suggestions, would be :

1) Go into the bios and check to see what temperature your CPU is running at. If very high, check to see if your heatsink is properly installed, and if not, relace the thermal paste, cleaning off the old thermal paste then putting on Arctic Silver 5, then reinstall the heatsink.

2) If you have a floppy drive, PM me an email address to send you a copy of "TestHDD" which is the best HDD checking program I know of; but it runs from a "Floppy Disk"

3) When you have the side cover off, check for capacitors that are bulging at the top, i.e. rounded somewhat instead of being flat. If you find caps that are bulging, replace the mobo unless you are skilled enough to properly replace those caps.

#7 Blake987123

Blake987123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

My computer just locked up while I was in the bios settings haha, so I'm gonna go with motherboard problems. I don't see any blown caps or anything though. So could it possibly be the ram or CPU causing that to crash? Cus I don't wanna spend too much right now.

Edited by Blake987123, 08 June 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

If by "Crash" you mean "Shutdown" then that could very well be a heatsink problem. i.e. not properly installed causing processor to overheat, which in turn causes automatic shutdown.

#9 Blake987123

Blake987123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

It didn't shut down, everything was on, just nothing was working. The screen froze and the keyboard stopped working.

#10 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

You might have HDD damage, because of the way they work. Essentially to get a safe shutdown, (Without Head Crashes), you have to use the Windows Shutdown, which parks the read write heads, before shutting down power. But if the heads are still out over the HDD platters when you shutdown using the power button then you get a "Head Crash" on your HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users