Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Trial Almost At An End.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 geologist

geologist

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

New Windows 8 laptop is almost three months old and the free trial Norton package is about to end. Dont want to use Norton again and if I do need additional security, I would rather use the paid for mbam together with the paid for version of SAS or Avast. But do I need the extra security?  If not, does the inbuilt Windows package automatically take over when the Norton trial comes to an end?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Malware Bytes Anti Malware (MBAM) and Super Antispyware (SAS) are not an antivirus. When The Norton subscription runs out, Do not forget to uninstall it since You do not want to use it again.

I run the Paid version of MBAM and a Antivirus.

I have had both trigger during Google searches, Sometimes one and sometimes the other, so I feel both are needed.

I would not go on the Internet without at least a Antivirus.

What antivirus You use is somewhat less important than the fact that You do run one. Yes some are better than others. Not to mention they tend to leapfrog each other as to who is best.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the rapid reply Roger - I take it that  the inbuilt Window 8 security does not give me enough protection then and that the paid for MBAM and the Pro Avast, both of which I have on this computer (vista), will give me the protection that I need on my Windows 8  laptop?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

You do need to make sure that whatever You install is Windows 8 compatible. Plus I suspect that the license on those two products is for use on one computer unless You bought a 3 computer license version. My Norton Antivirus is a 3 computer package for example. The 1 year use license for all 3 starts at the first install and activation.

The answer to Your question yes the two of them should be adequate. Keep in mind that Nothing is 100% effective so the first line of defense common sense.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Again thank you for the quick reply. It was, and is now my intention to buy the paid for versions of MBAM and Avast  for the laptop. But how would I know if these are compatible?????????

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

They should be. If You get them from the Mbam People and the Avast People then You'll have the latest version and they should be windows 8 compatible. Since Windows 8 is a updated windows 7, in my opinion, there should be no problem.

When I mentioned make sure it is in regards to buying a retail copy off the shelf. No telling how long it has been sitting there.

The most important thing to not let Your protection expire, that is when I have seen many people get infected.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 June 2013 - 12:07 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Windows 8 (and Windows RT) integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows Defender in Windows 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on previous operation systems so you can use it.

Microsoft is adding a bunch of significant new security features in Windows 8, including Early Launch Anti Malware (ELAM), Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), and the first edition of Windows Defender to protect not just against malware but also against viruses...Until Windows 8, Windows Defender protected against spyware only. Now, it also takes on viruses and other breeds of malware..

Windows 8 Security
Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs

Note: If a third party anti-virus came preinstalled, it most likely turned Windows Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been removed and then it will need to be activated if you choose to use it instead of installing another third party anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Please use the Full Uninstall methods for Norton products on Windows 8 Linked Here

This is the Norton Site and their full uninstall methods -

Thanks -

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

To be sure that Norton is completely out of your system BEFORE you attempt to install any new realtime scanner run

www.Norton.com/nrt

that's the Norton Removal Tool and it will make sure that there will be no conflicts with the new security product

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#10 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

Please use the Full Uninstall methods for Norton products on Windows 8 Linked Here

This is the Norton Site and their full uninstall methods -

Thanks -

'Chatted' to Norton support who provided an up-to-date link for complete removal but cant seem to post that link here. When I make the attempt, the screen darkens and a message comes up about a clipboard???

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus Windows 8 - Norton Support

Is this what you got ? It covers XP to Windows 8 -

#12 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us?product=home

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks -

I might bookmark that, as Norton offers several versions of removal with Windows 8.

They list it under "Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to remove your Norton product" and then add "Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product."

This would be the better method, as it removes the Registry key that contains your Norton product.

Regards -

#14 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the input guys, am now going to have a go at removing Norton.

Edit: How did you know this: "This would be the better method, as it removes the Registry key that contains your Norton product".

Edited by geologist, 11 June 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

< < How did you know this: > >

Experience over the last 10 or so years - A lot of reading and research - No other answer I can give  :graduate:

Plus a little bird told me  ..................

EDIT - Also see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497542/malwarebytesanti-malwaresuperantispywareavastspybot-search-destroy-question/#entry3075367

Edited by noknojon, 11 June 2013 - 01:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users