Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wireless Laptop Not Connecting To Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StonyAcre

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:39 AM

A friend of mine has a laptop with a wireless network card. She can connect to her wireless router at work. She also has a wireless router at home but she cannot connect to it. If she hooks up a network cable between her laptop and router at home the two communicate and she can go online. If she disconnects the network cable her laptop won't communicate with her router using the wireless setup and she can't get online. What does she (or I) have to do to to get the wireless connection going? Both card and router are Linksys. I understand hardwire networks but I'm still learning wireless. Her work wireless network has the security codes set up in it.
Is there some software that might have come with the router to help set up the wireless connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

Just a little suggestiong like this... Is the wireless enabled on the router...

What about the WEP and other encryptions did you type all that in...

#3 Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

can you see the router using the linksys utility?
i love linksys stuff, i have sold over 200 wrt54g routers in the last 4 months, not to mention the pci and pcmcia cards. but, i got to say, i hate their software, namely the utilities that come with the 802.11g cards. they are unreliable, kinda like ati, excellent hardware, but crappy software. anyway, to make life easier, just use the windows wireless utility on windows xp. right click on the linksys utility on the taskbar and select "use windows wirelessconnection". i rarely use the linksys utility, except for the speedstream series router/dsl modem.
anyway try that see how yo make out. i hope you know your security code.lol. if not you will have to log into your router and reset it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users