Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think im getting packet Loss!! Help!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kvolk8

kvolk8

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

Lately ive been getting unstable ping like 200 - 250 around there but just never stop moving up and down sometimes its like 180 but still moves alot around to 200, did ping test that gave me 200 and with jitter around 10 - 50 different numbers each test. Speedtest will give me 16 MB/S sometimes it will give me 26 Mb/S. so i dont know whats going on

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hi kvolk8 ... Let's figure out wha's happening....

You don't say where you are pinging to, what kind of internet connection you have, or whether you are wired to your router or wireless... even which OS your system is using... I'll have to assume some variaton of Windows....

Based on that, the problem could be local wirelss issues, a faulty internet connectotion, issues on the internet between your ISP and the place you were pinging to, or other activity on your computer or local network sapping your bandwidth.

Open a command prompt
run the comand    tracert   www.bleepingcomputer.com
You'll get something back like this

Tracing route to www.bleepingcomputer.com [208.43.87.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.nnn.nnn
  2    23 ms    22 ms    22 ms  xxxx [80.nnn.nnn.nnn]
  3    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  xxxx [195.nnn.nnn.nnn]
  4    23 ms    23 ms    24 ms  xxxx [195.nnn.nnn.nnn]
  5    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  xxxx [195.nnn.nnn.nnn]
  6    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  xxxx [195.nnn.nnn.nnn]
  7    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  xxxx [195.nnn.nnn.nnn]
  8    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  xxxx.xxxx.networklayer.com [195.66.nnn.nnn]
  9    91 ms    92 ms    91 ms  ae1.bbr02.tl01.nyc01.networklayer.com [50.97.18.204]
 10    91 ms    92 ms    91 ms  ae7.bbr01.tl01.nyc01.networklayer.com [173.192.18.176]
 11    97 ms    97 ms    96 ms  ae1.bbr01.eq01.wdc02.networklayer.com [173.192.18.156]
 12    98 ms    98 ms    97 ms  ae0.dar02.sr01.wdc01.networklayer.com [173.192.18.203]
 13    97 ms    97 ms    97 ms  po2.fcr01.sr01.wdc01.networklayer.com [208.43.118.138]
 14  www.bleepingcomputer.com [208.43.87.2]  reports: Destination host unreachable.

(I've disguised some names and IP addresses near me and my ISP with xxxx and nnn....)

This test is determining the route traffic from my pc across the internet to the BC server by testing each "hop" 3 times and telling me the time the tests took. The first "hop" - the "192.168" one is my local DSL router and is very quick. The second hop is the the ISP end of my DSL line - note the jump to 23ms. Further down the test, note the jump to 91ms when shows where the traffic crosses from the UK to the US.

Choose the first IP address clearly at your ISP (in this case - hop 2, the "[80.x.x.x]" address)
 address - I'll refer to that IP address as a.b.c.d below - substitute a.b.c.d with the actual IP address that we just identified.

Open a second command prompt and in it run the command (it will take about 10 minutes)
ping -n 600 -f -l 500 a.b.c.d

(the -l is a lower case -L)

Watch the test and look for missing packets ("request timed out") either singly or in groups, and generally whether the time for each test is consistent, or varies significantly. At he end there will be a sumary - post that, along with your generl observations about the ping test (ie "lots of timed out packets", "sometimes a few packes lost in a row", or "Time mainly 20ms but jumped to 150ms on several occasions")

If you were connected wirelessly and the test above revealled a lot of timed out pacets or significant variations in the time for each ping, connect to your router with a network cable and rerun the ping test above. Disable wifi for the duration of this second ping test. Any better?

The above tests are targeted at checking your local internet connection and possibly congestion on it.

x64

#3 kvolk8

kvolk8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

The ping -n 600 -f -l 500 a.b.c.d will just say ping request could not find host a.b.c.d please check the name and try again.

Heres the tracert to the website. 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights

C:\Users\Kvolk>tracert www.bleepingcomputer.com

Tracing route to www.bleepingcomputer.com [208.43.87.2
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    16 ms     6 ms     7 ms  10.249.nnn.n
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Kvolk>

Edited by kvolk8, 09 June 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:59 AM

Hi Kvolk8,

The traceroute seems unable to escape from your local network - that's dissappointing, and blinds me to a very large degree.

My intention was that we selected a suitable IP address from output of the traceroute and used that in place of a.b.c.d in the ping. However as the traceroute did not come up with anything useful we could not have run the ping anyway.

Back to the traceroute - If you were to have attempted to browse the internet whilst that traceroute was running, it would have worked (to some degree at least)?

We could do with knowing a little more about your setup.

Is this a home network?
What kind of internet connection do you have?

Who has contro of your local router - you or your ISP

How many computers share that connection? 

How is your PC connected to your network - wired or wireless?

Your original quition referred to possible packet loss in the subject line but high and unstable pings in the message itself- Can you clarify what makes you think you are getting packet loss and where exactly your ping timings came from?

x64

#5 kvolk8

kvolk8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

Yes this is home network

Im using cable

Idk who controls my local router i think my ISP

Im using 2 computer to connect to it

Im using Wired other one is using Wifi

I play games so i look at the ping and it isnt like the ping i used to get i always used to get 170 - 180 stable not 170 - 250 constantly jumping up and down

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi Kvolk8,

Without Traceroute working (and I suspect that your cable ISP is filtering out the traceroute traffic), I can only offer general advice as to where to go from here.

It may be that something local is causing other traffic which is contending with your gaming traffic on your internet connection. Equally it may be congestion within your ISP, between your ISP and the gaming server, or in the gaming host itself (although the other players would have similar report if the gaming server itself was degraded)

So what can you check locally...

You could try running with the othe pc turned off, so that it cannot interfere.

You can try temporarily disabling things that might contend for bandwidth from your own pc. Maybe do a manual update of antivirus definitions before starting playing (so that it does not check whilst you are playing); Close email clients as they will be continually checking for email in the background; Close any other software on your PC that may be using the internet connection whilst you are playing... I'm thinking about maybe file syncing tools such as dropbox, p2p clients, IM clients etc....

Think about anyhting else that might be using your Wifi - phone handsets? tablets?

However if the change in ping behaviour is due to congestion in your ISP of on the internet then I don't think that we have to tools to debug the issue.

x64

#7 kvolk8

kvolk8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Ive done most of them i got a ISP technician to come in for a check up this week 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users