Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG or Bitdefender?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phxpcman

Phxpcman

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

I hope this is the right place on the forum for this...

I have Bitdefender antivirus on my desktop PC (Dell inspirion 530). The subscription belongs to a tech who installed it for me when he worked on my machine, and now he has disappeared on me and I cannot get a hold of him. So, if I uninstall it, I won't be able to re install it...

I have recently heard that AVG has a free version that is pretty good, and has many tools and functions that are user friendly and effective.

Is that so? I am thinking about uninstalling the Bitdefender (It is difficult to figure out, and it keeps saying that updates were not installed correctly...plus I think it may be slowing my PC down. I cannot seem to find a way to schedule the scans, and it has many more unfriendly features.)...

But before I uninstall it, I would like some feedback from those who know better than I.

Will the AVG free version do the job for me?

If all else fails, I can always use the McAfee that comes free with my Cox Internet service...

Of course I only have the Bitdefender installed at this time. I know that I cannot run more than one antivirus at a time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mod Edit: Moved topic from Programming to the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum. ~bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 08 June 2013 - 06:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

Hi -

I am not passing judgement on any brand of Antivirus program (as I use neither brand), just helping with a link -

There is a Free Version of BitDefender if you would prefer to use that ..

If you click the link to the free version, it will start to download .........
Link is to FileHippo download if you want to use it when yours runs out -

< I can always use the McAfee that comes free with my Cox Internet service > Not good, ONLY my opinion -

Regards -

EDITED to update link -

Edited by noknojon, 08 June 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#3 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:17 AM

Thank you. I have heard similar opinions about McAffee.

But can you say anything about AVG Free version?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:53 AM

Note that none of these are my opinion, and are open sourced only -

There are good and not so good reviews, but this depends on where you look.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"FYI: During our review, we found that this program offers to install promotional, third party components.
Installation of these components is optional but you should pay attention during setup."

"“Only one complaint on new version”
My complaint is the newer versions keep getting bigger and bigger.
This goes for Avast as well. I did a custom install of the new AVG only installing the File and Behavior shields and it installed at 338MB."

"I removed AVG free from my system as soon as it went ahead and deleted a very useful program I have used for years, without my permission."

""Pros
•Small footprint ideal for even older PCs
•Easy-to-use, attractive interface
Cons
•Limited support for compressed/archive types
•Higher than average rate of false positives""

See all 10 reviews

Again, you can find some good reviews, but I just typed AVG Reviews and copied these.

EDIT - Note that not all of these are for the current download version ...........

Edited by noknojon, 08 June 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#5 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thank you my friend.

You have been very helpful.

Be well.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

With the release of AVG 2011/2012, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Until AVG has fully addressed these issues, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

See Choosing an Anti-Virus Program for my recommendations of free alternatives.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have not yet tried Bitdefender so I would just comment about AVG. I have used this antivirus (Pro Version) for about a year and the only thing that I like about it was that it runs on background lightly. It doesn't consume too much memory. However I can't stand the number of false positive alarms and it was really annoying so I switched to aVast last year but now I'm using Nortron. 

#8 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks to all here.

I really appreciate your input...

I am learning and growing.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Don't forget about MSE! It flies on an old laptop of mine, I would suggest checking it out as well. Not only is it free, but it's made by the big man, Microsoft, himself.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#11 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Felipe2237,

Thank you. I understand that, but I have never tried it.

I will keep that in mind, though.

I am learning more every day, and I really appreciate people like you.

May I ask you, am I responding in the proper way here? I don't see any way to reply directly to your comment. All I see is that I can use a comment box to respond, but it could be replying to anyone in this thread.

Are you getting a notice in your email inbox of this response to you?

Or is there another way that I am not aware of?

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

Hi Phxpcman -

You have posted all of this correctly. Always hard on a new forum.

Look at the box at Top Right (Follow This Topic) and those people will be notified directly.

Some of us tend to "lurk around certain areas", and we see these posts, within a short time of your posting.

The "Quote" link in a post just repeats what was said above, and is used if you wish to quote a certain post only for some reason.

This can also be used if you did not understand a post, or want more information on that post.

If you wish to address a certain person in a conversation, you can use @ Felipe2237 - so they know it is directed at them.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users