Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office Picture Manager isn't the default viewer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 candy

candy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

After much searching I'm back to this forum for some help!   All of a sudden I'm not able to open pictures in Microsoft Office Picture Manager as they only open in Microsoft Photo Viewer.  Right clicking on the photo 'Open With' will not open in Office Manager but in Photo Viewer.  I have checked the defaults and they are correct.   I have uninstalled Malwearbytes as one post indicated file extension exes. can be missing or changed to nothing at some point because of that software.  Also have went to the registry but FileExtensions file is not there but a FindExtension is and could not continue with suggestions for correction.  Look forward to some help!  Thanks a lot!...........Candy  (I do run RegServe)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

Part of your problem could be using registry cleaners as they are not recommended here at Bleeping Computer forums. When you change default - browse program, is the Microsoft Office Program Viewer listed?

Tekken

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Have you tried right clicking on the name of any file you want to open in Office viewer ?  If you do, you should get a box which is the 'Open with ...' box. If the Office viewer is not listed, at the bottom you should see a line of text saying 'Other programs'. From here you should be able to select the Office viewer, and if you tick the box that says 'Always use the selected program ...' that should reset your default to the Office viewer.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 candy

candy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for imput you two!  My brother also said I shouldn't be using the registry cleaners!  Is there not a need to clean up the registry?   Anyway to the other topic:....No, I do not find Microsoft Office Picture Manager  in the default programs. 

To Chris:  Yes, I can right click on my file and select Office Picture Manager but it still opens in Microsoft Photo Viewer.  Also on properties of the file, 'Always use the selected..........' is grayed out and not an option.

I can go to programs and open the Office Picture Manager, I just realized but just not by clicking on each individual file.

One time I couldnl't open Quickbooks and had to get some professional help and I'm thinking that was due to a registry cleaner that time.  Should learn by now, huh?    Thanks for the help...............Candy

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Somehow if the program is not an option, then its not capable of opening or does not support the file format. It seems to be also a file association corruption at this point if it worked before. Was the computer infected before this has started to happen?

Tekken

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

<<Is there not a need to clean up the registry?>> 

Well...let's turn that question around and ask...why would I think that I need to "clean" the Windows registry...aside from the fact that various software developers tell me that I need the product they created?

Take a look at two relatively simplified attempts to shed some light.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsr/p/registrywindows.htm

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/what-everybody-should-know-about-windows-registry.htm

Then...take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

I think you will then have your answer.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#7 candy

candy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Appreciate the replies!  No, my computer was not infected before this happened.  So would a repair of Microsoft Word fix this problem?

I did read the links that Louis sent and see that I would have to be quite knowledgeable to use the registry cleaners properly.  Also I am starting to use RevoUninstaller to catch all the loose files when uninstalling a program. 

So how do I restore the links?

Thanks again..............Candy

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Until you run the sfc /scannow command...to check for damaged/missing system files...you won't have any idea of just what may be wrong with your system.

Troubleshooting...is elimination of the most obvious suspects, in a somewhat logical order.  Once you can eliminate the prospect of missing/damaged system files...we can move on to something else that may have created your situation.

Louis

#9 candy

candy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

<<Is there not a need to clean up the registry?>> 

Well...let's turn that question around and ask...why would I think that I need to "clean" the Windows registry...aside from the fact that various software developers tell me that I need the product they created?

Take a look at two relatively simplified attempts to shed some light.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsr/p/registrywindows.htm

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/what-everybody-should-know-about-windows-registry.htm

Then...take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

I think you will then have your answer.

Louis

Until you run the sfc /scannow command...to check for damaged/missing system files...you won't have any idea of just what may be wrong with your system.

Troubleshooting...is elimination of the most obvious suspects, in a somewhat logical order.  Once you can eliminate the prospect of missing/damaged system files...we can move on to something else that may have created your situation.

Louis

So I ran the sfc /scannow and nothing changed.  One note:  in my default programs Windows Office Picture Manager is not there.  Another suggestion?  Thanks...........Candy

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users