Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe to use Chrome now or something else?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

I love Chrome but all i see is people having redirects and problems as of late,  i took chrome off yesterday because i was having major problems updating and installed Firefox, is it safe to go back or is it to unstable.

Thanks  a lot

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Chrome is not the cause of the issue when you are having re-directs.

You are most likely infected with a toolbar or extension inside the browser - which would also infect Internet Explorer and Firefox.

For Chrome - open Chrome, click on the 3 horizontal lines (its a button right below the X) in the top right corner - this bring up a windows with all the options for chrome.

Go down and select "settings" - this will open a new tab in chrome which have all the settings listed in it.

In the top left corner, click on the word extensions - delete ALL extensions from there.

Next click on the word settings - this will bring you back to the original settings page - under "ON STARTUP" : click the bubble to open a specific web page, then click on the blue works next to it that say "set pages" - delete any pages that are saved there - and set it to a homepage that you know is safe, for example: www.google.com

Next, under "APPEARANCE" - check the box to show home button, then on the right, click the the word "change" (it will be blue, like a link)

change the home button to a link that is safe, for example: www.google.com

Next, go down to the "SEARCH" - click on the drop down menu, and choose google from the list (this is the search engine that will be used if you were to search using the URL bar in Chrome .

Next, to the right of that, click on the "manage search engines" button, and that is where any and all search engines that are saved in your browser will be stored, remove them all except google. To remove them, hold your mouse overthe very RIGHT end of the search engine, and you will see an X appear - click it to delete it.

Next - Open the RUN box (hold down the windows key + R )

- for Win XP users, Click on START - click on RUN

In the RUN box, type TEMP

Then click OK

highlight everything in the temp folder and delete it.

Open the RUN box again - type APPDATA - then click ok (will not work in win XP, so skip this step)

click on the LOCAL folder, once inside the local folder, goto a folder called TEMP - go into the temp folder and delete everything inside that TEMP folder

NOTE: these are not the same TEMP folder - if you were wondering

Next, we are going to remove all scheduled tasks

For win XP - click on START - All Programs - Accessories - System tools - scheudled tasks

It will open a folder full of files, the very first (or very top) file - is to schedule a task(do no delete that file)

highlight all other files in that folder and delete them

For all later versions of windows - click on start, type into the search box - task scheduler - then click on the task scheduler that show up in the results

it will open a console - on the left side of this console you will see the words "task scheduler library" - click on that - this will populate the center window with a list of scheduled tasks, highlight all of them and click the red DELTE word on the bottom right side

NEXT, we are going to stop any programs or services that are malicious from starting up

open the RUN box - type MSCONFIG  - click OK

goto the STARTUP tab

disable all items under the startup tab (click disable all)

Then goto the SERVICES TAB *****on the bottom left side of the services tab window, is a check box that says "HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES"*****

^makes sure you hide all microsoft services FIRST, by clicking that check box.

After you have checked that box - click disable all.

If you have any protection software, go through and check the box next to its service or startup item to make sure it starts up when you boot the computer back up

Once you have done this, click OK and the MSCONFIG window will close and tell you to retart your computer

Click RESTART NOW and once your computer boots back up and your back to your normal desktop screen, repeat steps for clearing the TEMP folder and the APPDATA - local - TEMP just to make sure you got everything (somethings you werent able to delete before - should delete now.)

Open then RUN box - type INETCPL.CPL and then click OK (this is for Internet Explorer)

delete browsing history, then click on the securty tab. At the bottom of the securty tab - RESET ALL ZONES TO DEFAULT

Next on the content tab, clear SSL slate - click that

Then on Programs tab - click manage add ons - disable all addons then click on the drop down menu and choose the option - run without permission - disable all of those also - then highlight all the addons under MICROSOFT and enable those

then on the left side click on SEARCH PROVIDERS - set one that is safe (google, yahoo, bing) to default and delete the rest, then at the bottom of the screen will be a check box that says prevent programs from suggesting changes - make sure you check that.

Click CLOSE to close that window. The CLICK OK to set the changes you made.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

Wow,  i wasn't having redirects but was curious why i see so many having them so thanks for the explanation .I turned off IE by unchecking it's box so i'm hoping that will take care of it .   I prefer just to use Chrome and i am running Win 7 64 bit sp 1    , any changes to the above based on this new info.

Much appreciated 

Edited by herbman, 08 June 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Your question/topic...the answer to that is...the browser is not the weak point of the system security, the user is.

System security includes using a firewall, installing critical updates, running a reliable, updated AV, and other such security measures.

A browser...is just the conduit/link between the system and access to the Internet.  There is no browser...that will provide perfect security in isolation...there must be a combination of factors...with the user being the most important...that establish/maintain a system security posture.

And...various users may have various problems with various browsers...you can Google and check that out.  There is no perfect browser, it's all a matter of user preference...and you don't really need a reason why you prefer Browser A to Browser B.

The security measures you implement on your system...are far more importatn that which browser is elected by a user.

Louis

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Your question/topic...the answer to that is...the browser is not the weak point of the system security, the user is.

System security includes using a firewall, installing critical updates, running a reliable, updated AV, and other such security measures.

A browser...is just the conduit/link between the system and access to the Internet.  There is no browser...that will provide perfect security in isolation...there must be a combination of factors...with the user being the most important...that establish/maintain a system security posture.

And...various users may have various problems with various browsers...you can Google and check that out.  There is no perfect browser, it's all a matter of user preference...and you don't really need a reason why you prefer Browser A to Browser B.

The security measures you implement on your system...are far more importatn that which browser is elected by a user.

Louis

Seems to me IE is more trouble prone then most other browsers but i see your point.    So here's my question, should i have more than one browser or is staying with just one OK?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Well...I only use one but I think that many persons have more than one which they use.

I've had multiple browsers installed at one time (Chrome, Firefox, and IE) but I found that I naturally gravitate to using IE so I uninstall the others. 

I'm not aware of any possible conflicts between browsers...so there's no reason not to have more than one installed.

As for IE being more trouble-prone...I can only go by my own experiences.  I've used every different version of IE up to IE 10...and I only recall one version that was just messed up (one of the IE 5 or IE 6 versions) and Microsoft reacted fairly quickly to all the complaints.  IMO...many of the problems that users believe are browser problems...are caused by the junk they install (toolbars and other add-ons)...and malware that exist on the system unbeknownst to the users.  The browser gets the blame because...we all know that it's not the user's fault that such things find themselves on the systems :).

That's my belief only...I cannot categorically validate that line of reasoning other than the fact that I don't seem to have many of the same problems that those critical of IE seem to have...and I prefer to go by own experiences when it comes to installing/using software on my systems.

Louis

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

hamluis makes a great point - its usually the user that causes the error - not the browser.

The steps I listed were to reverse most of the user error that had been implimented onto your machine - this would create a much safer and faster computer experience.

The reason why you see most people complaining about Internet Explorer, is because most people use it - given that fact, you can see why there are more complaints about it.

In my opinion, using Google Chrome tends to be most safe for inexperience computer users because of the following reasons:

1) Built in flash player that updates with Google Chrome - this will ensure the user that they always have the most up to date flash player and if they accident visit a malicious website that has an advertissment on it saying your flash player is out of date "click her to update" - that they know its a lie and they can ignore it. Alot of people get addons/toolbars installed into their browser via this medium.

2) Google Chrome was put the test vs hackers - compared to Internet Explorer and Firefox, it came out ontop as the most secure/hardest to infiltrate browser of the three.

However, people will do what they are most comfortable with, and through working remotely fixing computers I have come across many older people who have only used Internet Explorer and will not change to anything else.

It is best to do whats most comfortable for you, know that for the most part browsers are all the same, it is the user that makes the difference.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm not aware of any possible conflicts between browsers...so there's no reason not to have more than one installed.

I regularly install and use multiple browsers on all my systems. Have not noticed any problems with doing so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users