Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate External Hard Drive dead?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dastreus

Dastreus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

I've had Seagate 2TB External Hard drive since around 2009/2010. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148503

) I've played games off it, used it for extra storage and all. A year or so ago, it started clicking so I started using it less and transferred games off it. Today, however, the USB cord jiggled and came loose, leaving the hard drive hanging (even though nothing was running off it?)

kept saying something was running when I'd go to eject it, but nothing was being ran from the HD. Finally I just unplugged it, because I couldn't access it or interact with it through the UI in any way. Unfortunately, Windows 7 no longer will show it under "Computer". The Device manager shows a USB Mass Storage Device, but a yellow warning symbol, with no additional information I can seem to pull up. The driver is up to date (that I know of). No longer within Disk Management as well, but the grreen light on the external is steady on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

If you have removed it (unplugged) from the computer - disk management wont show it

Goto our Device Manager - find the mass storage you were talking about - right click on it and uninstall it

Then plug in your external drive.

Sometime a USB port will get stuck to a  device an you need to uninstall it from device manager to release to port

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 Dastreus

Dastreus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

That makes sense. I'll give that a shot in a few minutes when some things calm down over here. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll post if it fails.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

ok :thumbup2:

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 Dastreus

Dastreus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Forgot to update this yesterday. I tried uninstalling the driver and plugging it back in, even rebooting and plugging in. Both options take awhile to install a fresh driver, and then fail. Perhaps I should manually find the driver?

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

With the drive plugged in, do you see it in disk management?

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 Dastreus

Dastreus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

It does not, unfortunately. It was drive H (lots of USBs have come and gone through this with myself and friends). Just seeing F, E, G, D, and C. Drives C, D, and E are internal HDs, F is CD/DVD drive, G is a USB thumbstick.

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

The device is either dead, needs to be initialized, or is getting insufficient power.

If it showed up in disk management you could right click on the disk and try to initialize it - connect it to a Linux operating system and try to view the disk there

You could also try one of those USB cords that have two male ends so it plugs into 2 USB ports at one time to get twice as much power, or plug it into a powered USB hub.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#9 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

As s1lent0ul already mentioned above, you might also want to check your USB cable. Getting a new one or borrowing from a friend would really be a nice test because sometimes USB cables could not handle too much power that is carried on to the external HDD. I'm not sure about this but this has happened to me before although my external HDD was in good condition. It was just the cable that was failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users