Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Windows 7 Needs Repair?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I tried restoring my eMachines desktop to factory settings using the eMachines Recovery Program.  It failed and I got an error.  So when I turned my PC back on, it says Windows 7 is missing some files to start - something like that - and i need to repair it.  

Could somebody help me? I don't have any CDs or nothing.

I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

More info

Model Number EL1358G-51W

OS - WINDOWS 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Edit - Any help would be much appreciated, i know i am a new member, i am just looking to to fix my PC.  

Edited by BENINEEDHELP, 07 June 2013 - 08:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NoHz

NoHz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

:welcome:

Heres a guide from Microsoft on making a system repair disk.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

Run the Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Enviroment and it will find and replace any missing Windows files.

How to start the Windows 7 Recovery Enviroment

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-the-windows-7-recovery-environment/

#3 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Could i create this disc on any computer or does it have to be my emachines?  My laptop is windows 8.

#4 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/eMachines-EL1358G-Drivers-Recovery-Restore-Resource-Utilities-7-8-XP-Vista-CD-DV-/400497822851?pt=US_Drivers_Utilities_Software&hash=item5d3f87cc83

Would this work?  

#5 NoHz

NoHz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Your trying to repair Windows 7 correct? You can burn a repair disc from any PC with Windows 7 x64 bit installed, you just have to use a friends computer to burn the disc.

#6 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

My computer at work does... ok this makes sense now.  Thanks everyone for your help.  =)

#7 NoHz

NoHz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Message back if you need any more help  :) 

#8 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hey it's me again. So I got the CD, but when i boot from the CD I get this error message, "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.  This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as  hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing.  Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.  If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer."  I get about 60% through the loading files screen and then this pops up.  Once again, any help is appreciated.  Sorry i haven't responded in months, I got frustrated and put my pc in storage but I got time today to fix it.  

Thanks again, Ben

#9 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

So I tried remaking the repair disk and it won't let me reformat the disk because it was write protected.  Then i realized that there is no free space left on the disk and that its only around 200-300k storage on the disk.  Could this  be causing the problem? I just need a bigger disk?

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

No, you don't need a bigger disc !  A CD can hold something like 650 MB of data, but once you have 'finished' it it becomes locked and you cannot write any more data to it regardless of the amount of data that is actually on it. I use them for posting data to people when I have more than is convenient to send as an e-mail attachment and I never worry if I am filling them or not because blank CDs are so cheap. It is also a characteristic of CDs that any file on a CD is 'Read-only' and you cannot change this attribute.

It might be worth your while to check the connections to your optical drive. The best thing to do is to unplug both the power and the data leads and plug them back in, then try your CD again.

If all else fails, you may have to do a complete Windows install. So long as you have the Microsoft authorisation code - and it should be on your computer somewhere - you can use any 64 bit Win 7 install disc to do this. This is tedious because you will have a stack of windows updates to install, plus all your own applications, but should result in a working computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Unplugging didn't do anything, same error.  How would i do a complete Windows install? Sounds like i have to buy something... 

I am debating to just list the computer up on eBay and keep the hdd.

#12 BENINEEDHELP

BENINEEDHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Screw it, i just took out the hd.  I give up.  Thanks for your help Chris and NoHz.

Peace out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users