Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Suddenly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phillips126

Phillips126

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hey all,

I'm normally pretty good at solving computer issues, but this one has me stumped... I'm hoping it's not hardware related as money is tight these days.. I thought I'd get some opinions.

I built a computer in January, everything went perfect.  Computer started up and has been running beautifully up until now.  

Last night I was doing a little gaming - playing Planetside 2.  

Out of the blue, the screen went black.  Thinking the game crashed and/or froze, I restarted the PC.

The normal blue windows logo came up with the spinning circle, suddenly black screen again.  

Restarted again, black screen. At this point I know I have an issue...

I tried to use the tools that come with Windows 8 (Automatic Repair, Refreshing, etc...) everything came up with an error message.  I finally swallowed hard and reformatted my PC.  The computer started up with a clean Windows 8 install and seemingly the problem was gone.  The very first thing I installed was the video driver, restarted my PC and black screen. Reformatted again, ran windows update (got to the video driver update on the list) and then black screen. Reformatted again, installed an old video driver (thinking the new driver had errors) and... black screen.

I don't have another PC to swap out cards to see if it could be my video card.

There has been no signs of slowdown or anything of that nature, this problem was so suddenly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phillips126

Phillips126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Just to give everyone an update, I've removed the card from my PC and things seem to be running normally again - using the motherboard graphics.

I've contacted EVGA and found that my card has a 3 year warranty on it so I'm going to see if that fixes the problem.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Thank you for posting your solution  :bounce:

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 bck_

bck_

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

I know this is old and OP has been able to successfully resolve his issue, but this is one of the top Google results and, though my problem appears to be identical, my situation is a little different.

I just had this exact problem crop up running Windows 8.1 Pro using Bootcamp on an early 2013 Macbook Pro.  Very similar circumstance: I was playing Battlefield 3, and the display just went black.  The game definitely didn't crash; I could hear it responding as I pressed keys, but nothing on the display.  Everything else about the problem is identical: If I restart, I get the normal quick black screen with command-line-style prompt, then the blue Windows logo, then it cuts to black.  It definitely seems like Windows is running, but there's no display.

Obviously and unfortunately I'm not able to remove or swap out my video cards.  Any ideas?

EDIT: RESOLVED

For anyone else who finds their way here like I did, this link did it for me: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/527599/windows-8-issues-solved-please-read-if-you-39-re-having-black-screen-and-or-flickering-/

Specifically, the posts by Dunsany and valkyr did the trick.  I booted in safe mode, uninstalled and deleted the Nvidia driver, disabled automatic driver installation, and restarted normally.  I then manually downloaded and installed the previous Nvidia driver for my graphics card (which at the time of this writing was 335.23, rather than the latest which was 337.88), and everything is now bueno! 

Two hiccoughs along the way: First, when I tried to uninstall the Nvidia driver the first time, when I restarted I got the login screen (which was a good sign), but it quickly went black again.  I powered down, restarted in safe mode again, and repeated the uninstallation process, and it worked the second time.  Second, when I started the manual install of the 335.23 driver, the computer played a sound similar to the one for disconnecting a USB device, and the screen went black.  I'd seen a lot about trying to increase the brightness (though it hadn't worked up to this point; but if you haven't tried it yet, might as well); I tried it, and it worked! So far I'm back up and running. [/fingers crossed]

Hope this helps someone else!

Edited by bck_, 31 May 2014 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users